Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NW / Sea Haggis Recipe

HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
kudos to Wise One for a good name, Sea Haggis it is...
and, here's the recipe:[p]Original NW/Sea-Haggis

1T smoked cherry peppers (I make mine, but substitute 4-star-hot peppers as needed)
1/2T kosher salt
1/2T red (commercial, ground) peppers
4T fresh grated ginger, 4 cloves garlic
2 mangos
2 large squid (12-14", LARGE squid)
1# fresh scallops, washed and drained[p]
Clean squid, removing legs and wings and outer skin and leave the body intact (I turn it half-way inside out to clean). Pound all meat thoroughly with a tenderizer. Cut legs and wings into very small pieces.[p]Skin and cut mangos into small cubes. [p]Place cut squid parts in a saute pan with 2 T. olive oil, simmer on med. for 35-45min until tender (general idea is you can either cook these on extra-extra high for 3-4min or cook the 'bezeejus' out of 'em (which I do for this recipe) to get them tender).[p]Place mangos, salt and commercial peppers in small saucepan with 2T butter, 1T olive oil, add ginger, crushed garlic. Simmer on med-low, stirring occasionally until mango breaks down into a sauce (about 1/2 hr). Add the fresh peppers, blend. Remove from heat.[p]Turn squid to high; add mango sauce, add fresh scallops. Remove when scallops are 2/3 cooked (3-5 min). Spoon into squid bodies, close with toothpics. Drench squid bodies with your choice of rubs (I use DP Tsunami Spin but I think something hotter might be in order).[p]Remove cooked ABT's from egg. (oops, forgot to tell you to cook those as appetizers; a little planning here...) With Egg at 375-400+, place filled squid on grill, direct. Turn once at 10min, and remove at 20min.[p]Slice into 1"+ wide bands and serve (see image). Goes well with a citrus, acidic salad (as with any seafood).[p]the photo, again: nwhaggis.jpg
all best, HS![p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    HolySmokes,
    That looks really interesting, but my brain sez the squid is tough. Looks and sounds really tasty though. How would you describe the texture of those monster squidlies?? Never had any luck with ones over 7 inches, but also never pounded with a tenderizing hammer, and never cooked them this way. You definitey have me curious![p]Happy squidding.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah, it can be tough or at least rubbery; that's why I pound it and cook the innards for a good long time; they soften up after 30min or so.[p]The carcass is ok if its been pounded. I've had good luck cooking them in an oven with other fillings, for somewhat longer periods than I've tried on the egg.[p]Again, most squid I would agree and cook hot and fast to avoid it toughening up, but these big guys I go the other way and let 'em cook until they give it up.[p]cheers,
    Dugal

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yeah, Dugal. Sounds about right. Seems like the two extremes (super hot and fast, or steamy and loooooong) is what works. Everything in between is garden hose. But the turbo temps don't seem to tame the big guys. Thinkin about it, though, the small ones might work well with a pre-cooked stuffing. [p]Enjoyed your pictures. Nice to see folks with a little adventure in 'em.[p]I am bringing a couple pounds of the little ones to Waldorf. Have not done squidlies for a while, and gotta keep the tradition going.[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ