I'm getting the planning stages together for the wife's birthday party in a few weeks (June 24th party) and I wanted to run my plan/questions by the eggsperts here....
My wife requested a pulled pork meal - and surprise surprise, I've never cooked it. I'm not too worried, especially with the likes of all of you on the other end of this interwebz thing.
So here's the to do list:
- I've got to calibrate my dome thermo
- Buy remote temp probe (something along the lines of the Maverick ET-732 - any other recomendations/cheap sources?)
- Buy a bone in pork butt roughly 1/2 - 3/4 # per person (not sure how many people are coming yet, at least 9)
As for my setup I'm planning:
- clean out entire egg with shop vac
- load fresh lump in by hand
- layer maple and apple chips throughout lump
- start fire & add plate setter
- when egg stabilizes around 250 dome, add butt and temp probes.
And the questions:
- at 1/2 - 3/4 pound, is that enough uncooked pork per person? planning to serve on buns with corn on the side (and hopefully other people bring some additional sides)
- I hear 1/5 - 2 hrs per pound - I'll figure out the start time once I've purchased the pork. Don't wanna try and guess until I know how much pork I'm cooking.
- How about rubs/marinades? Any advice? Anybody ever try a RUM BASED marinade?
[Insert clever signature line here]