Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

chips or chunks of wood for pork but?

BmeierBmeier Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in Pork
I am getting ready to put on a but soon  and all I have are apple chips will this work?

Comments

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Probably too late, but if It burns, it makes good smoke it will work.
    Just use a handful as equivilant for a chunk, and spread throughout the lump so there is always something smoking.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    doesn't matter.  i use what i have on hand.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I like hickory when smoking pork. Haven't used my egg yet but have a good supply of chunks of hickory when its ready.
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 576

either, but prefer chunks on big pieces of meat

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yes.  chips or chunks.  both work fine.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I use both pecan chips and chunks. I build the fire with chunks scattered throughout the lump, and add a fistful of chips to the top before I add the cold butt. Really adds a beautiful smoke ring.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• billybobbillybob Posts: 1
    Boston Butt on the Medium BGE. Indirect cooking with Cran-Apple juice and red onions in the drip pan. After four hours really looking good.