Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What temp to wok?

Options
Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Gonna give it a go tonight! Not sure how hot. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FingerLicker
    Options
    I just did my fist wok cook a week ago, and just got it medium-hot, worked well. Actually I would have liked it hotter from a cooking perspective but it also throws a lot of heat back at the chef so it's a balance between fast cooking and personal comfort. I don't think I'll wok in hot weather again but when it cools down I may try it hotter.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I get my large or small around 400-450 and when a drop of water dances it is ready. Just make sure you have all your ingredients mis en place as the process goes fast.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240033&catid=1
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Brownie.  If this is your first stir fry, I think Richard's 450 is a good temperature.  As you get more proficient, you will want to raise that temperature considerably for wok hei.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I did my first wok cook tonight. I got mine up to around 500ish. All went well, kinda wanted it a lil hotter. Turned out great thanks to VI advice and recipe.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    If this is your first stir fry, I think Richard's 450 is a good temperature.  
    VI how do you measure temp?  My woks are.....freaking hot, but not hot enough to ignite the oil.  I have no idea what the actual temperature is.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    While the initial temp is important, not overloading the first batch is equally, if not more important. It doesn't matter how hot you are to start, if you overload the wok, the temp will drop too much and you will steam and not (stir) fry.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    While the initial temp is important, not overloading the first batch is equally, if not more important. It doesn't matter how hot you are to start, if you overload the wok, the temp will drop too much and you will steam and not (stir) fry.
    Ahh.  I was guilty of that. I had to start an inferno to get my veggies to sizzle. Now it makes sense. Great ideas for my next wok adventure.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Great advice. I dumped a big bowl of large shrimp in mine and the temp went down and it did take a few to get back up.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    +1

Doc, I don't measure the temperature.  I used to open the bottom vent all the way and leave the dome open. I've started backing off a little from that lately.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious