Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed for first rainy low and slow

GA_Dawgs
GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I threw on a 10.5 lb brisket around 7:30 and had temp stabilized around 240. Then the rain and wind arrived....temp is dropping down to 205ish when the rain is steady then jumps to 275ish when the rain stops and the wind picks up. I have moved the Egg close to the house to help cut down on the wind and jerry rigged a smoke stack on the DW with some HDAF to keep the rain out. Is there anything else I can do to help it stabilize or just cross my fingers and hope I don't ruin an expensive brisket?

Comments

• lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Wrap the dome of the egg -loosely- with HDAF- so the rain runs off the AL but you don't have that huge temp drop from the water and huge temp raise when the water is cooked off. 
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    The problem with your fluctuating temp is probably 95% wind. Rain usually don't effect mine at all. Unless you have torrential rainfall or rain is somehow running inside the egg. The best thing to do is turn the egg to where the bottom vent is opposite from the way the wind is blowing. Do anything you can to block or deflect the wind from the top and bottom vents. It should calm down if you can do it.
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    The problem with your fluctuating temp is probably 95% wind. Rain usually don't effect mine at all. Unless you have torrential rainfall or rain is somehow running inside the egg. The best thing to do is turn the egg to where the bottom vent is opposite from the way the wind is blowing. Do anything you can to block or deflect the wind from the top and bottom vents. It should calm down if you can do it.
    good point.  I use the pit-viper and digiQ, and when it started raining (and got more windy) I closed the pit viper vent down to half way.  I will say when it started raining hard on the egg, I lost 8 degrees in about 5minutes, which is when I put the AF on the dome, and the temp stabilized. (take that with a grain of salt as I'm a relatively new egger) 
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Rolling Egg
    edited June 2012
    I picked up one of these at Lowes a few years ago. Pretty handy when it does rain.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p144/jmansmom/IMG_5941.jpg
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Thanks, I turned the vent away from the wind when I moved it near the house. As you said, wind seems to be the problem. It has died down for now and is stabilizing around 235. I don't have any remote thermometers so I am going all by feel and past experience.

So in addition to this being my first overnight rain it's also my first brisket. It has been on for about 5.5 hours and is temping between 135-145 in different areas. As I mentioned it is about a 10.5 lb brisket. I know that
    the temp increase will slow now that it is approaching ambient temp in the Egg and will also hit the stall. Does this seem about right temp wise thus far?

Thanksmin advance for the help!
  • Rolling Egg
    Yea, your temp is fine. However it will not go all night. If I had to guess your going to be done in possibly five hours. Hard to say though. It is already midnight though. I guess you would say that's all night. My briskets always cooks faster than my butts. I always cook at 250 dome though.
  • Rolling Egg
    Well? When did it finish?