Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
TarHeelBBQ
TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Fellow Eggers,

I am in the BBQ business.  I work for a manufacturer that still cooks BBQ over open coals every night.  Brisket has been a very difficult product for us to master.  We have had very nice brisket but sometimes inconsistant.  One batch we had 2 amazing briskets and one that was dry as a bone.  I can't figure out what is going on.  These we cooked at 200 degrees until 190.  How does two briskets end up perfect and one terrible?  I can't figure out the inconsistant piece.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Options
    Every brisket I've cooked seems to have its own personality.  Some are done at 185, some at 200.  Could be that the dried out one needed to cook a little more, or a little less.  It's hard getting every one in a batch equal since the meat isn't equal to start with.  Best advice I'd have is at 185 start checking all of them with your icepick/thermapen/sharp object for tenderness and pull each one at its own pace.
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options

Thanks,

This is a really hard peice of meat to perfect. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

Thanks,

This is a really hard peice of meat to perfect. 

Truer words were never spoken.  Even the eggsperts will tell you this.  I did one this weekend and it was "fair". Have done many "great" ones over the years and all the variables(that I can control) are the same.  

It is just the damn piece of beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!