Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Calibrating dome Thermometer

SaintrsSaintrs Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback
I recently messed up a pork butt and instead of juicy and tender, it was dry and hard. Not very good. The internal temp was 200 degrees in 5:30, so I thought my digital thermometer was broken. I knew that you are suppose to cook a butt for 1:30 to 2:00 per pound, so I let the butt sit for another 7 hours. Needless to say, not a good butt. The only conclusion I could come up with was the dome thermometer was off. Therefore, I calibrated it to boiling water and sure enough, the dome thermometer was 150 degrees off. My questions are: 1. Why would this happen? 2. My thermometer needle now starts between 100 and 200, see below pic. Is this ok?
·

Comments

• SaintrsSaintrs Posts: 7
    Pic Has complications, so no pic.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,647

Question #1-If you didn't wrap the needle around on itself during a pizza cook or hi temp clean I have no idea how it could get that far off since the last time you checked it.   #2-As long as you dialed it in for the boiling water temp then don't worry about what it reads at ambient. 

FWIW-I check my dome calibration before any low&slow-it's the one indication that will control the cook so I like to know it's all good.

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • SaintrsSaintrs Posts: 7
    Thanks. I am new at this so any feedback helps.
    ·
  • A pit master once told me to always run a separate surface temp gauge where the food is. Been practicing that for a few years now and much more reliable. :)>-
    ·