Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoking some wings

DCHogDCHog Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some wings tonight at about 225 degrees...how long should the cook take?  I figure around 3 hours, but would appreciate some advice.
·

Comments

• Mthomp13Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    I do mine a 400 degrees inderect for 45 minutes to an hour. Or to how crispy you want the wings to be.
    ·
  • DIXIEDOGDIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I cook mine at 350-400 and then wind it up to 500 for the last 10 mins or so to crisp my skin up.  At 225 the skin is rubbery....you also want to remember poultry really takes on the smoke flavor so you don't want to over do it with the smoke.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    edited May 2012
    I do mine a 400 degrees inderect for 45 minutes to an hour. Or to how crispy you want the wings to be.
    Exactly how I do it.  No benefit in cooking them slow.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    I do them raised direct at about 350. Cook 20 minutes, turn, cook 20, pull them. They are always great. No need to make it harder than it is. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,779
    Another opinion (and we all know what those are worth)-I go raised grid, direct around 350-400 (close enough) for around 45-50 mins then sauce and back on for around 5 mins.  All good after that--experiment-and if it works rembember what you did and if not-same thing but don't do it again.  It's a journey and meant to be fun along with learning:)
    Louisville
    ·