Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs On My Adjustable Rig

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I normally do baby backs but I got some spares. I watched a few vids on trimming the ribs and threw them on my egg. I also threw on the trimmings so hopefully they will turn out.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Great set-up and nice looking cook-spares will usually cook about an hour or so longer than BB's for planning purposes.  And the trimmings-usually in two to three hours they are done-great for adding to beans, eating as you go "cook's treat" or-I chop them up and use in ABT's.  Looks like a winner-enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I have a rack of spares I'm gonna trim and try too. First rack for me as I usually do bb's also. Looking forward to how yours turn out..
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bigguy136
    About two hours in, I tried some smaller "cook's treats" and yum. Thanks for the head-up on extra time. I watch how BB bend for when to sauce them. What should I watch for on being done?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lousubcap
    Bend test works with spares as well-FWIW-I usually check for "close" with a tooth pick-if it slides in and out without resistance= done.  close the deal with the bend test-if I have to cut in half then tooth pick all the way...I'm gettin hungry.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    Thanks. I will try the toothpick also. Are you going between the meat and bone or inserting directly into the meat?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lousubcap
    Close to the meat-bone interface-sometimes you have to "hunt around" like the good ol dentist:)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The trimming is excellent.  I trim most of the fat off.  I like them to snack on with just rub and smoke; no sauce.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bigguy136
    I didn't sauce them because I didn't want them dripping on the other ribs (practice for a rib competition) and as I ate the trimmings, I thought no way to sauce. I should have finished ribs shortly and will post the final.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lousubcap
    Your are out of my league if this is a competition warm-up...that said, good luck and enjoy the end-result of this practice cook.  BTW-I have a following and don't sauce during the cook.  Provided on the side but usually never used.  Again, best of luck in the comp.
  • bigguy136

This is my first time ever competition so I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me.

Here are two photos. The first is just before sauce and the 2nd is 30 minutes after sauce. I will try ribs without sauce, I think it would be good.image

Big Lake, Minnesota