Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE use-primarily low&slow/hot&fast/another mix/or something else?

lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,652
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Curious as to the predominant use for your BGE; smoker, grill, oven or other.  I'm in the smoker category with the primary temperature band 250*F +/- and dipping lower (180's) for smoking peppers, salmon and a few other goodies.  And I do go to the "hot&fast" side for steaks (cow or other), some roast cuts, spatchcock anything, pizza and the appetizers.  Probably run 80+% low and slow.  Of course, with the required time for low&slow it does skew the curve.
Louisville   L & S BGEs 
·

Comments

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
     Wife and I have steaks every (most) Sunday nights and pizza on Friday nights so of course those are high temp cooks. Ribs are about every other week and a pork butt when my daughter says she needs it.  She has three teenage boys and they love Q.

I've got a Cookshack Smoker and a CharBroil infrared grill also and I hardly use them at all.

3-2 in favor of high temp on average
    ·
  • I'm all Over the map. I'm still trying to find a way for it to make ice or dispense cocktails.

·
  • LitLit Posts: 4,022
    Which egg?
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,783
    grill (400 or under) 50%
    high heat 25%,
    low & slow 25%
    ...something like that.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • SoCal_GrillerSoCal_Griller Posts: 415
    I'm all Over the map. I'm still trying to find a way for it to make ice or dispense cocktails.

:D  If you find a way let me know!  
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • I'm all Over the map. I'm still trying to find a way for it to make ice or dispense cocktails.

:D  If you find a way let me know!  
    Oh I will, from my yacht!

·
  • twlangantwlangan Posts: 293
    So far, I'm running approx...

40% high heat (steaks and pizza)
    40% grill (burgers, brats, chicken)
    20% low and slow (ribs, sirloin tip, butt this weekend)

Bought a pizza stone recently and pizza will likely bump my high heat usage up a bit. Pizza is absolutely awesome on these things! 
    ·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited May 2012

I have had mine two and a half weeks.  So far

Ribs twice
    Steaks twice
    Hamburgers twice
    Chicken twice
    Pizza twice

So far I have a twice theme going. Tomorrow I am doing my first Boston Butt to get to twice I need a first

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • You can fit 2 on there. Counts for me.

·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited May 2012

LOL

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    I am more on the low and slow side...I do a lot of pork tenderloin, chicken, pork steaks, etc all of which I tend to stay south of 300 degrees on.

·