Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hamburgers - What Temp - Best Temp For Each Category & Cut Of Meat

StoaterStoater Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys, will be home in half an hour and have company coming over, making umami burgers and want to use my new thermapen, what temp should they be at? I like them a little pink.  While I am at it, does someone have a post on the best temps for each category of meat, that would be very helpful to this newbie.

Thanks for any input.

• StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Sorry should have clarified, what temp to cook at for each category of meat as well as what internal temp should be.
    Remember most cuts will climb a good 5-10 degrees after you pull them and let them rest.  If you wait to pull a burger or steak until it reads the correct doneness on the grill it will be overcooked when you serve it.
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I would do the burgers direct at 450-500, flip them once and do not mash down on them. Lot of variables, such as how thick are the burgers and how done you like to eat them.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    edited May 2012
    Hamburgers 150 internal when you pull them and let rest a few minutes.

Here's the meat chart I use as a general guideline.  I've put it together in a spreadsheet over the years and printed it for my fridge. Took picture with my phone...

Packerland, Wisconsin

• StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated!