Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt

Options
meat73
meat73 Posts: 140
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I know what i'm doing but here is my plan let me know what I have wrong.  Butts on BGE at 350 cook tell 165 then wrap with HDALF 2 layers cook to 200.  Will use hickory and apple for wood.  How long does it take to get them to 165?  How long does the whole thing take.

Thanks

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    Options
    <edit> wait, I forgot you said turbo butt in the subject. Forget the times. this is for a regular cook. doneness is the same. I'll let another handle this. </edit>

Plan on 2 hours a lb. 
    Putting the foil is to help power through the stall. You don't have to do it, but it will cut time off the 2 hours per pound. 
    Don't cook to temp. Cook till done. Start checking at 195. When the probe slides in & out effortlessly, it's done. 

If early, back in foil, in towels, in cooler.

good luck

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I've never done one turbo style, but I can say it will take less than 2 hours a pound...I see those kind of times when I cook them 250 with no foil...
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    I did a 6  pounder for derby.  Set it up in-direct at 275 with wood.  Dome temp slowly moved to 350 over time which was fine.  At the 5 1/2 hour mark internal was 170.  Pulled and wrapped and put it back in.  Let dome kreep to 375-400 and it reached 205 internal an hour and a half later.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    meat, 

I'm doing one today as well. I have no idea how long this will take. I'm in no hurry so I may do a semi-turbo.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've only tried the turbo butt method a couple of times. Not enough to come up w. firm numbers.

I did think the meat was indistinguishable from regular lo-n-slo, but that the bark was not quite as smokey or crisp.

You might like to read over the following article for better understanding.

www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    I did about a 7 lber and it took 4 hours with the turbo method.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mine have typically run about 4ish hours. You have the right set up. Welcome to the club.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC