Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Panko Shrimp and Scallops with Ginger Caramel Sauce

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I originally got this from the white and rice couple, but I couldn't find the link right off.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Gateway to the Hill Country

·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,758
    Great looking snack.  Do you have a Himalayan salt block?  Does both shrimp and scallops wonderfully.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    Beautiful presentation Gary! Looks awesome

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Looks Awesome as usual. And Your Presentations are always outstanding.

I think Im cheating tonight. Im using the Weber instead to grill some shrimp.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,888
    Ginger-Caramel sauce?   @-)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,713
    OK, now you're just showing off. :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    He's been showing off for a while.

Nice VI!!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,905
    edited May 2012
    Wow Gary...you never cease to amaze. Forget C.I.A., where do I sign up for the VI Boot Camp??
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,386
    edited May 2012
    My. Oh. My. You are a professional, Gary. I don't even have to look at the content of the post to know when they're yours. I am always excited to check out your photography. First class as always.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 157
    Unbelievable. Great job. How big is the cast iron skillet in your second photo?
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    I could cook that and then I would just have all of it laying on a plate.  Maybe a styrofoam plate.  Great job VI, looks like a 5 Diamonds restaurant.
    ·
  • I'm in the "this is really cool" camp. Great looking cook and plated like a pro.

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    Unbelievable. Great job. How big is the cast iron skillet in your second photo?
    Thanks, folks.

@jbates67.  It's a comal.  Perfect for making tortillas and shallow pan frying.  It's 10 inches in diameter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Awesome presentation as always. I am surprised to see you frying on the egg after past comments you've made about that.
    ·
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    VI,

Outstanding!!!!!

I can't imagine what your China cabinet looks like. You're plating is always exceptional...and different. 

Well done, sir. 
    ^:)^
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
    Awesome presentation as always. I am surprised to see you frying on the egg after past comments you've made about that.
    Good observation, Guru.  In previous posts, I said I was opposed to deep frying.  I think I cited a time I had a skillet up to about 1/2 inch to the top.  If some spilled over to the fire, it would have been a disaster.  If you'll notice the pictures above, the frying is shallow and very controllable.  In the first picture, it's not much more than stir frying, and the second picture is really just sautéing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372

Good observation, Guru.  In previous posts, I said I was opposed to deep frying.  I think I cited a time I had a skillet up to about 1/2 inch to the top.  If some spilled over to the fire, it would have been a disaster.  If you'll notice the pictures above, the frying is shallow and very controllable.  In the first picture, it's not much more than stir frying, and the second picture is really just sautéing.
    I did notice that the oil level was very low, just pushing your bottom a little bit. I think it was an awesome cook with great pics as always. Always watch your post closely because they always look like great food and you always go the extra step for presentation.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Ok VI, admit it........ After plating, the food was cold. 

Seriously, That is a nicer presentation than most of the "nice" restaurants I've been to. 
    ^:)^
    Now, about that caramelized ginger sauce.....

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    edited May 2012
    Taz,

The caramelized ginger sauce was very sweet (too sweet), but it complimented the shrimp and scallops in small amounts.  I might have copied the recipe down wrong whenever I did it.  Next time, I think I'll use half the sugar.   Here is the recipe as I made it.

2 c granulated Sugar
    2 t Lime Juice
    1/2 c Water, approx.
    1/3 c Soy Sauce
    2 t finely grated Fresh Ginger
    2 t Chili Garlic Sauce
    Finely Grated Zest of 1/2 a Lime

1. Place the sugar and 1 t of lime juice in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a sturdy wooden spoon, until the sugar has liquefied (be diligent in your stirring, or else the sugar will heat unevenly, leaving clumps that are a pain to dissolve without burning the caramel). Continue to cook until the caramel has reached a golden brown color (the caramel may still appear opaque, that’s ok). Be very careful. You have napalm in a pan right now.

2. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully pour in water. Stand back a bit as you pour, because the caramel is going to bubble, hiss, & splatter a bit.

3. Return the caramel back to the heat and stir to dissolve any remaining lumps.

4. Let the sauce cool a bit, then add the soy sauce, remaining 1 t of lime juice, grated ginger, chili garlic sauce, and grated lime zest. Carefully taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. After sauce has cooled completely, thin with additional water if necessary. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Thanks, that's going to get saved as a keeper with the 1/2 sugar notation. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    Oh me oh my!! Another outstanding meal and presentation from VI. I am in awe.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Beautiful presentation Gary! Looks awesome
    It does indeed. Well done.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Very nice post and plating.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,381
    And another thanks for the caramelized ginger sauce recipe. That opens a whole new class of flavor pairings to me.
    ·
  • Smokin_TroutSmokin_Trout Posts: 171

If an Idiot did this- what's that make me?

I've got to ask- How much time did you have to put into this cook? Did you save any for us?

·