Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid is glued shut.

Options
Tigerbdog
Tigerbdog Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I attempted a burnout late yesterday afternoon but got an emergency call and had to take off.  I forgot to shut the vents before leaving and now my lid is glued shut.  I  need some help on the best way to get it open.  I use a BernzOmatic Outdoor torch to light my egg and I was thinking I'd try to use it to heat up the outer edge in hopes of loosening it up.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
XL and M BGE.

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    You might try building a fire in the ash pit to heat it up. Mine glued shut during a burn out but I got it to open while still hot. My gasket was already burned prior to the burnout so I just removed all of it while still hot.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options

When my gasket went, I had the same problem.  I took a butter knife and was able to wiggle it between the base and lid and then slide it around the front of the egg which was enough to loosen it so I could get it open.  Then I peeled of the remaining gasket and went to work with acetone to get the remaining glue off.

Good luck!

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    putty knife, and get prepared to say goodbye to your gasket.