Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg, first brisket, first time smoking!

Options
Synergizerer
Synergizerer Posts: 1
edited May 2012 in Beef

Fellow Eggers!

I caved in and picked up my egg/nest/place setter last week and finally got to use it yesterday/today. While reading this and looking at the pics keep in mind that I've used a grill 5 times in my life. Two of those uses ended up with the fire department at my house (I WISH I was kidding). If anything looks or sounds wrong please let me know so I can get better with my egg!

First brisket:

I picked it (12lb) up from the local butcher knowing it is one of the harder meals to cook. I used the BGE general use rub and Bulls eye sauce. Some salt pre-rub and some vinegar as a sop from time to time (mixed with the bbq sause). BGE coal and some Mesquite wood chips for cooking.

It made it on the egg around 4pm yesteray. I was having heat issues (temp going from 180-250 and back down) for about two hours. It calmed down around 7pm. I pulled it off of the egg around 2:30 today. I cut it in half to make it manageable, wrapped them in tinfoil and then a towel. Meat is now in the cooler resting for about another two hours. The little bit I did cut off of it to taste was by far the best brisket I've ever had.

Here are a few pics to go with the post. Going to go finish up my mashed potatos and green beans.

Thanks for all of the awesome posts on these forums! They have helped me out a lot!

Deric

Comments