Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Todays the day, smoking beef tongue *pics as I go, not for the squeamish*

FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
A quick recap: My coworker gets a cow every year, and they don't use the ribs or usually the briskets.  She offered me the ribs and possibly the briskets, in exchange for me smoking their beef tongue for sandwich meat. I don't really need the beef, but the challenge of cooking something I've never even tasted was enough to make me say yes.  (I've only had beef tongue in tacos at a Mexican place.)

So here we are, ready to put it on the smoker.  I looked online quite a bit, and took some suggestions from the other thread here.  Finally, like always, I just combined what I read and winged the rest.

I decided to forgo the boiling to remove the skin, and instead just used a freshly sharped knife to skin it while it was still cold from the fridge.  I did this because it just feels weird for me to boil any kind of meat, let alone boil something I was going to smoke.  It wasn't that hard to remove the skin, just took some patience.  The skin on the tongue is amazingly tough though, definitely glad to have a sharp knife.  Even then it's tough to pierce.
I also didn't have time to make a brine and soak it for several days, so I hope that it still turns out ok.

As promised, pictures :)

imageimageimageimage
preprep1.jpeg
640 x 478 - 106K
preprep3.jpeg
640 x 478 - 111K
preprep2.jpeg
640 x 478 - 123K
skinned1.jpeg
640 x 478 - 116K

Comments