Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

California Carna Asada

ducksbuddyducksbuddy Posts: 56
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I lived in California for 20 years of my life and there were Carnecerias on every corner where I was made available marinated Carne Asada meat as well as a marinated chicken that was orange in color does anybody know a good recipe that's close? I now live in the mid west and have no idea what cut of meat to even ask for?

Comments

• Yep. That orange color is achiote. You can find it at most full line better groceries and all Mexican groceries. I have a marinade that NBS close to what you are looking for.

I'm on my phone at the moment so i can't search but look for cen-tex fajita marinade in the search bar of the forum I'll post it for you later if you don't find it. Should be a good starting point for you.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • *is close (not NBS). Sorry for the typo.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • Here are some pics of my last achiote rubbed carne assda. Look close?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Here is the marinade:

Enjoy.

Cen-Tex

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • ducksbuddyducksbuddy Posts: 56
    Thanks so much!
  • No problem. You can tweak it but this should be close. I think i ripped the main part of this from an LA Times article about street tacos in LA a few years back.

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • chicken is the same recipe

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,492
    The local places by me use "flap steak" as their cut, but there are several cuts you can use.
  • The local places by me use "flap steak" as their cut, but there are several cuts you can use.
    That's good too. Even ribeye or sirloin, but skirt is the traditional cut for street tacos cuz it's cheap. Marinade it overnight and grill over coals and it's delish, 
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • The local places by me use "flap steak" as their cut, but there are several cuts you can use.
    you are out in LA though (I think) so maybe that flap steak is catching on. I really like it.

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    I am in NorCal, but the market I get it from is a hispanic market. If my wife goes in they automatically speak spanish to her because of her brown hair, lol. Me? They know I am a gringo. I am making about 4lbs of it tonight.
  • Cool. I'll be up there all week next week. Love me some NorCal
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • ducksbuddyducksbuddy Posts: 56
    Sounds amazing. Do you need my fed ex account number and address?
  • FlamethrowerFlamethrower Posts: 493

BYS & Cen Tex where abouts in Nor Cal?

LET'S EAT
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,675
    CT,  did you get the achiote paste at Fiesta or La Michoacana?  Our little HEB in the hood use to carry the paste, but demographics have changed, more CM products on the shelves
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
    Flamethrower,

I am in Vallejo, but I am born and raised in Rodeo. (Small unincorporated town in East Contra Costa Co)
  • FlamethrowerFlamethrower Posts: 493

BYS, Stuck in Lodi

LET'S EAT
  • Flame- I'll be in San Francisco, Santa Rosa, fairfield, Antioch, Napa, and a few others.

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Joan- I get the Achiote at my HEB in Bee Cave.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    Centex while you're in Santa Rosa stop at Russian River and try a Damnation. They're well known for Pliney, but I really like their belgium and sours too.
    Lodi, man.. that might be why you are flamethrower.

• BYS- that is a lock. Be there tomorrow night. Thanks for top. I'm also a huge Willi's Wine Bar fan.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE