Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stall question

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
at approximately what temp does the stall occur.  My butts stalled at 154 for at least 2 hours this morning, now i'm approaching 180.  Is there another stall coming?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Stall usually around 160*F and lasts (in my experience) for much longer than two hours-but each hunk has its own characteristics-and yes, I have seen another stall around 180 for a couple of hours, but not in all cases.  I run with around 250*F(+/-) on the dome as you can power through a stall with a high enough cook temp-search "turbo butts".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gooddogjudge
    gooddogjudge Posts: 106
    Options
    thank you, kind sir.  it may have been more than 2 hours at 154...was that temp when I awoke and stayed that way for a good while.  I plan to power through if a second stall emerges...still have chicken to cook, followed by hot dogs. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Sounds like an outstanding plan to me-goona be good eats all around:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mudhole
    Mudhole Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a stall now. 5 lb. butt, turbo cookin at 275* on a LBGE with a Stoker, the butt is crusing at 169*, and has been for an hour and a half...
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    at approximately what temp does the stall occur.  My butts stalled at 154 for at least 2 hours this morning, now i'm approaching 180.  Is there another stall coming?
     This is what most eggheads refer to as the plateau. They do occur at different temps. I have known some who have reported seeing two diff plateaus during one cook. Enjoy your turbo butts. I cooked three 8 pounders a few weeks ago, in 6 hours. They were very good!