Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Lid from XL BGE

unit26
unit26 Posts: 53
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have completely fried the gasket on my egg and am going to replace it with the nomex upgrade.    Could someone explain to me how to remove the lid on the XL without destroying it or me.  Thanks

Comments

• JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    All I did to remove the lid was loosen the band bolts and pull the Dome off. Once I got the Nomex on my XL I had to adjust some of the other bolts to get the lid to sit right.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Do not remove your lid! There is no reason to do that for a gasket and they are not easy to line back up etc. I have replaced many gaskets and have never removed the lid once.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Don't remove lid!!!
  • unit26
    Do not remove your lid! There is no reason to do that for a gasket and they are not easy to line back up etc. I have replaced many gaskets and have never removed the lid once.
    Ok. Thats alI I had to hear.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I'll throw a wrench into the thread. I removed my lid and it was easy to realign. Lift the lid, remove the springs, unbolt hinges from the lid and take it off. Mine lined up without a fuss. Maybe I just got lucky.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I'll throw a wrench into the thread. I removed my lid and it was easy to realign. Lift the lid, remove the springs, unbolt hinges from the lid and take it off. Mine lined up without a fuss. Maybe I just got lucky.
    I.m sure it can be done but there are lots of guys on here that did it and can't get it lined up properly after. The fact is though, there is no need to pull it to do a gasket. I can clean and install a gasket in 20-30 min with no need for the lid to come off. Why would you add an hours worth of fussing around for a 20 minute job?

• Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    I replaced my gasket on a Xl and my dealer showed me how by removing the lid. Remove the two springs and bolts from bracket. Easy off and on. Not a problem with alignment, but this was on a new egg too. No warp on the hardware. Now Cen-Tex has much more experience on this subject than me so I recommend any advice from him, but the XL seems very hard to work on in the rear by the hinge without removing lid.
  • I replaced my gasket on a Xl and my dealer showed me how by removing the lid. Remove the two springs and bolts from bracket. Easy off and on. Not a problem with alignment, but this was on a new egg too. No warp on the hardware. Now Cen-Tex has much more experience on this subject than me so I recommend any advice from him, but the XL seems very hard to work on in the rear by the hinge without removing lid.
    I have a large so it may be a little different than an XL.

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    edited May 2012
    I would say it's nearly impossible to do a good job with out removing the lid on the XL, due to the hinge action, the lid drops below the top of the base.  Did mine with no issues, had a small under bite issue anyway and sorted that out at the same 
  • I would say it's nearly impossible to do a good job with out removing the lid on the XL, due to the hinge action, the lid drops below the top of the base.  Did mine with no issues, had a small under bite issue anyway and sorted that out at the same 
    Ah- That's right. I have a large and it does not drop like that. Didn't make the connection that it was an XL. Well, start listening to these guys on how to take off your dome.

Good Luck

• cortguitarman
    XL hinge is much less difficult to work with than the large and smaller eggs. No need to zip tie the hinge or any of that stuff. You should be able to do the XL in 30 min including lid removal.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I just replaced the gasket on my LBGE. I took the top off with no problem realigning. Took about an hour but 30 minutes of that was letting the adhesive get tacky. I also sprayed the nomex as well as the rims. The XLBGE may be a little heavier to handle.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • unit26
    After looking at it, I can say it would be hard to do it without removing lid.  I am going to my dealer monday and let him go over it with me, then I will come home and try it.   With that said, what type gasket did you guys go back with?
  • cortguitarman
    I used a nomex. So far so good. I figure that I'll fry one per year. The way I see it, I spent more money and time on my gasser each year than I will on a new gasket.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Nomex here too.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    edited May 2012
    I'm around 20 cooks in with my BGE nomex gasket at temps from 250 to 700 and looking good, slight singe at the back where it gets hottest but that's it, used the 3M glue as recommended. I preshrunk mine, don't know if it stopped it shrinking once fitted but made me feel better, so far so good and fingers crossed it'll last a whole lot longer than the original
  • unit26
    How did you preshrink?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    How did you preshrink?
     Most run theres through a short clothes dryer cycle. I don't do it, but have heard some say they did.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
     I couldn't imagine not removing the lid to install one. Not saying you are wrong for not doing it, just seems like it would be hell to clean up that way. I just replaced three XL gaskets last week and the domes came off and went on fine. The most important step to me is getting the dome and base very clean. If possible, you really should try to get it back white exposing fresh ceramics. Just my thoughts. Everyone I have ever done a half way job of cleaning, comes loose in a year or so. The ones I have done a good job at cleaning haven't come off yet. It's a tricky step, but the more black grease you get off that sealing surface, the better the 3m glue will stick. 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012
    Remove the dome.  Aligning the dome is not that hard.  It is really hard to do a really good gasket install without removing it. 
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    My nomex gasket is shrinking after about 15 to 20 cooks, even making sure not to stretch the gasket when installing it. Would think about preshrinking it next time.
  • unit26
    Shrinking seems like the thing to do then
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
     Isn't it better to put the Rutland on the dome rather than the base? If so removal of the dome is almost a must.