Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork soup

Options
LukeD
LukeD Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some ideas for leftover pulled pork to do soup with
maybe a tomato base
or a stock base
let me know what your thinking

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    @LukeD

Maybe something like a Burgoo. You can Google it and get a ton of recipes. Kind of a veggie soup with what ever meat you want to throw in. Pulled pork makes an excellent addition. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options

One of our family favorites is stuffed cabbage rolls with pork.  I make a stew which is kind of a take off on that with leftover pulled pork.  I rarely measure anything exact but this is what I do.  Saute a diced onion and carrots with a couple of cloves of sliced garlic in some olive oil.  Salt and pepper of course.  Deglaze with a cup of white wine.  Add about a quart of chicken stock and a can of diced tomatoes.  Simmer for about an hour.  Then add your pulled pork and some cubed potatoes (peeled).  Simmer for about another hour.  Towards the end add 1/2 head of sliced green cabbage and about 1 tsp. Sambal paste.  More or less to taste depending on your love of heat.  I love what this heat does with the cabbage.  (Think kim chee)  Do not simmer now for more than 20 minutes or else your cabbage will cook down too far.  Adjust seasoning as needed.  Serve up with a good crusty bread from the broiler brushed with olive oil and rubbed with a raw garlic clove.  Pour yourself another glass of wine and you are all set.

Living Large and XL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you want to do a soup, I really like lime, cilantro and onion on pork. With those flavors in mind, you could do a chicken tortilla soup but use pork instead of chicken for the meat. Just make chicken stock soup with rice, onion, carrot and corn (little cut cobbettes). Then squeeze lime into it, add cilantro, avacodo slices, a few tortilla chips and some shredded jack cheese........dang I'm getting hungry

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This one is a little different than mine but you get the idea. I like the clear broth over the tomato but they are both really good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If you want to do a soup, I really like lime, cilantro and onion on pork. With those flavors in mind, you could do a chicken tortilla soup but use pork instead of chicken for the meat. Just make chicken stock soup with rice, onion, carrot and corn (little cut cobbettes). Then squeeze lime into it, add cilantro, avacodo slices, a few tortilla chips and some shredded jack cheese........dang I'm getting hungry

Oh lawd!!!!!!! I want some.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Sopa de lima is addictive and awesome, could make w/ pork instead of chicken.  Use lots of real lime juice.