Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grid extender

demodemo Posts: 147
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I saw some pics here a couple of weeks ago, where someone used a Weber replacement grid and 4 stove bolts to make a raised grid.  It included pics.  Is there a way I can find this again?
Thanks.

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,167
    It's just some carriage bolts and a couple of nuts and washers. Probably 5/16" or 3/8" by four or five long.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tgklemantgkleman Posts: 216
    I did this based on a pic I saw on one of VI's posts?  Three carriage bolts, with some fender washers locked between the nuts.  I'll take a picture and post when I get home.  Works great
    What size grid did you buy?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• demodemo Posts: 147
    I have a large egg, I think the weber grid is a couple of inches smaller in dia.
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    I am getting a mini woo, but no point until the pizza stones come back in stock on amazon. And of course they just raised the price of the stones while sitting in my cart out of stock go figure.
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 216

Here you go:

Weber grate : (I snipped the handles off)

www.homedepot.com/buy/.../weber/cooking-grate-92674.html

The bolt is held to the grate with two washers and a nut.  The other end of the bolt has a fender washer sandwiched by two nuts.  This allows the grate to be set onto another grate.  I had to cut the handles off the grate so the dome would close properly.

• EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 799
    That's pretty clever. That looks to be about 3-4 inches above the felt line with the same size grid. Will it close with food on it? I'm assuming the answer is yes, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.  :-/
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    That's pretty clever. That looks to be about 3-4 inches above the felt line with the same size grid. Will it close with food on it? I'm assuming the answer is yes, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.  :-/
    That's the sweet spot for pizzas

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GatoGato Posts: 766
    @Little Steven do you raise your grid that high for pizzas?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • choggchogg Posts: 30
    Back when I bought my bge they sold me a grill extender...I would cook the yard bird on top and put corn below...all the juices would rain down on the corn...YUM..it worked for me.....obviousley I waited until the chicken was cooked some...no RAW jucy corn..thanks..I have always cooked piza right on the plate...is that not right ? just a little corn starch on the plate and you got a good crust..
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
    @Little Steven do you raise your grid that high for pizzas?
    Yes. I use the adjustable rig, grid, platesetter that I broke and ground all the legs off, plumbing tees and pizza stone. I can't add pics to photobucket right now but as high in the dome as possible

Steve 

Caledon, ON