Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Roasted red peppers

Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
edited 8:29AM in EggHead Forum
Fire up that Egg to a high temp, maybe 550 or so; add in some wood chunks. Put the whole peppers on the grid. Rotate every 5 min, charring the skin, for about 20 min, till they are soft. [Tip for impatient cheaters: the MAPP torch will char the places that don't get charred fast enough.][p]Let the peppers cool on a plate. Peel off the skins and clean out the seeds. [Taking off the charred skin is pretty easy. Getting rid of all of the seeds is not so easy, but it is worth it.] Chop the peppers into squares. Put 'em in a jar with chopped raw garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and italian seasonings. Let 'em sit for a day in the fridge. They will keep for several weeks.[p]These are good in a salad.
·

Comments

• badbrucebadbruce Posts: 353
    Morning Prof Dan,
    I use those same roated red peppers everywhere. Meatloaf, ona roast beef sandwich thet're great, salads, fajitas, etc. etc. etc.
    Roasting brings out the sweet flavor.
    Your recipe looks good.
    bruce

·
  • GreendriverGreendriver Posts: 128
    badbruce, I was just going to ask ProfDan about other uses so I guess you answered that one before it was asked. Thanks
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    Prof Dan,
    ????????????
    Are we talking bell pepper or?????[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

·
  • Prof DanProf Dan Posts: 339
    New Bob,[p]Yes -- red bells.

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    2fc74072.jpg
    <p />Prof Dan,[p]When you are done with the char, toss the peppers into a paper shopping bag and fold the lid closed. After a few minutes, the moist heat generated will loosen the skins for an easy peel.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • Chef ArnoldiChef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    3438%3A34323232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A7%3A39558ot1lsi
    <p />Prof Dan, this is the way i do it

·