Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Refinishing My Cypress Table- Varnish Q

Berner
Berner Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum

My neighbor is a finish carpenter and built a beutiful cypress table for my LBGE last summer. My intention was to keep it covered, but I would often leave it exposed because I do a lot of hi-temp cooks and it would need to cool off over night, and who thinks to cover it up on a Monday morning! The table was finished with several coats of exterior spar, and looked great, but as the South Florida sun and moisture hit it, spots started breaking down and turning silver. Also, parts of the table top showed signs of splitting around the cut out, mostly from my hi-temp cooks. I am in the process of sanding down to raw wood, and filling the splits, and wanted some advice on how to finish it better. Should I seal it, then spar? Seal only? Spar only, or any other combo? The cypress is so beutiful, I would love to be able to keep that look. I appreciate all your advice! BTW, I am not sure I can commit to doing a better job of covering it either....

Comments