Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for smoking beef short ribs before braising them in red wine?

Options
Kevin_in_Tyrone
Kevin_in_Tyrone Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought some beef short ribs that I would like to smoke in the egg before braising them in red wine and beef stock.

In the past, I have had good luck with a similar cook for lamb shanks.  I smoke them for 2 hours at 250 degrees and then braise in red wine for 3 - 4 hours.

I have a recipe for beef short ribs that calls for browning the short ribs in oil for about 8 minutes; setting them aside to fry the vegetables (onion, celery, carrots, garlic); return the ribs to the dutch oven with the red wine and reduce by half (about 25 minutes); add beef broth and herbs, bring to a boil, then cover and braise in the oven for 2 - 2.5 hours until ribs are tender.

My question is, how do I incorporate smoking the ribs in the egg to this recipe.  Should I brown the ribs first, then smoke them, then braise?  Or skip the browning?  Or smoke first, then brown in hot oil?  And how much should I reduce the braising time based on how long I smoke the ribs?  I know that braising cooks and tenderizes the beef much faster than roasting at a low temperature.  Should I decrease the braising time by 30 minutes for each hour of smoking?  Or 20 minutes?  Or something else?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Smoke, brown, then braise.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Your idea sounds great. I wouldn't brown them before if the goal is to get some smoke on them. You could probably skip the browning step after a couple of hours on the egg.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can also brown after the braise but I prefer to do it before.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can still get smoke on them after browning. do whatever is easiest.  don't skip the browning though

i have done a similar thing for osso bucco.  rather than smoke then brown then braise, i just get a little color on them by searing, doing the brown and smoke steps in one go.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    stike,

So you don't slow smoke them, you just let the smoke from the sear do the trick?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That works too. Stike is right- the browning is where it's at on a braise. I would skip smoke before browning, but I usually do both.