Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket flat for Mothers Day

Options
fitzmaug
fitzmaug Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
ok it's really for me.

This is my first attempt

I have a 7lb brisket flat.   Plan is to cook at 225ish on the XL BGE.  I need this to be ready for 11am brunch on Sunday Morning.

I plan to follow this approach from 
travisstricktravisstrick

When do I put it on the egg to be ready for 11 am Sunday morning?

Comments

• CatWrangler
    CatWrangler Posts: 22
    Options
    9-10p Sat
    Dont be alarmed at the plateau 160-170*F You may think your fire is dull or out...just hang in there

cheers

Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    When i made a 7 lber it took 14 hours with foil.
    Make sure that the egg is up to temp for 9. Give yourself plenty of time to get that fire to a good stable place.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yeah, but he is braising it using Trav's recipe. It's a little different. I'm sure he will chime in before it's time to go. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Lol good point CTS. Must be my bed time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lol good point CTS. Must be my bed time.
    Wasn't calling you out,  Just noting that braising and smoking are 2 different processes and I dunno how long Trav's takes. 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Lol no worries. My yankee skin isnt that thin. LOL.
    I answered the wrong question. You better call me out on that or Fitz will have some incorrect info.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    ok it's really for me.

This is my first attempt

I have a 7lb brisket flat.   Plan is to cook at 225ish on the XL BGE.  I need this to be ready for 11am brunch on Sunday Morning.

I plan to follow this approach from 

travisstricktravisstrick

I cooked a seven pound flat last weekend. went on at 8am sliced at 11pm. 240* dome, put it on and did not even look at it again until the thermo hit 170*  Foiled it until 195* rested for @ 2 hrs then sliced. I would haved put it up, but when i went to there was no forum to be found ?? Anyway good luck. ....No pics is like it never happened.

When do I put it on the egg to be ready for 11 am Sunday morning?

More meat please !! :-)
  • fitzmaug
    fitzmaug Posts: 5
    Options
    The day begins

I cleaned out the egg - to insure good airflow!

The brisket is trimmed; coated in mustard and Number 2 brisket rub from Texasbbqrub.com   I plan to get it going around 8pm tonight.  Here is a pic.  it is a bit hard to see with the saran wrap around it.  More pics later.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Only thing you can mess up at this point is by not slicing it across the grain when it's ready to eat. If you cook it Trav's way and slice it right, it should be great.