Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak users

Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious what variety of Royal Oak everyone uses?  I have seen the orange bag online which is their natural Lump but all they sell around me is the regular lump in the blue and red bag.  I would assume the stuff in the orange bag is close to BGE lump since they make it.  How does the stuff in the blue bag compare?  They sell Maple Leaf up here which is good but is usually filled with small pieces.

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    JMO, but I think the more the bag is handled, as in shipping, the more small pieces and more dust will be found.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    My Wally World only has the orange bags  Central Kentucky, 8.8 lbs was $6.78 yesterday.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Orange bag.  I like RO and Best of the West.

That was 20 bags, and we are about 2/3 through it in 30 days.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    I figured you were talking about the orange bag which I have never seen in Canada.  I know the blue bag had tongue and groove boards and all kinds of scrap in it from using it on my weber kettle at the cottage.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    I figured you were talking about the orange bag which I have never seen in Canada.  I know the blue bag had tongue and groove boards and all kinds of scrap in it from using it on my weber kettle at the cottage.

I'm using the blue bags too, I haven't found the red bags either.  The pieces arnt very big so, if need hot cook I have to be careful placing them in the egg.  I use Natures grilling 100 percent hardwood charcoal from canadian tire too but it's pricy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the tongue and groove stuff is perfectly fine. it is not demolition debris.  it's culled stuff that doesn't meet finish requirement (knots, checks, etc.).

it's never been finished, never been used. perfectly safe

ten seconds before it was in the shape of a T&G board, it was a tree.
    :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Around here (central lower Michigan) Menards is selling US-made RO in 8.8 lb green bags for under $6 on sale. The first bag I opened was great, lots of big pieces and little dust, pretty much indistinguishable from the BGE-branded RO. The second bag had mostly smaller pieces around 2" in size and many smaller, still usable but definitely not as good. I don't think it was different handling since they came from the same stack at Menards, hard to say for sure but I think it's more a matter of how they happen to get filled in the first place. Maybe the BGE-branded stuff has less variability but for about half the price I'm happy to use the RO and save out the big chunks for longer cooks.

• 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 18

I mainly use Ozark Oak and I'm so far very happy with it but I haven't tried them all then again it can vary batch to batch, I would like to know which brands are prefered over OO and your personal input as to why.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Around here (central lower Michigan) Menards is selling US-made RO in 8.8 lb green bags for under $6 on sale. The first bag I opened was great, lots of big pieces and little dust, pretty much indistinguishable from the BGE-branded RO. The second bag had mostly smaller pieces around 2" in size and many smaller, still usable but definitely not as good. I don't think it was different handling since they came from the same stack at Menards, hard to say for sure but I think it's more a matter of how they happen to get filled in the first place. Maybe the BGE-branded stuff has less variability but for about half the price I'm happy to use the RO and save out the big chunks for longer cooks.

Same here, USA made RO from Menards for under $6.00 for 8.8 lbs. I've used about 25 bags now and can't say I've found anything odd in the bag or small pieces. I'm in Minnesota

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• MGOBlue
    MGOBlue Posts: 12
    I bought the RO @ Menards for $4.88 a bag in MI.  I took home 20 of them, hopefully it will last a few months.