Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veal Chops

Options
demo
demo Posts: 163
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for ideas for doing veal chops on the egg.
Thanks.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Demo,
    Although this recipe calls for veal scallops, I think veal chops would work great.  It's from the old Time Life Series, The Cooking of Italy.  It's very tasty.

Scallopine al Marsala

1.5 pounds Veal Scallops, Sliced 3/8" & pounded to 1/4"
    Salt & Pepper
    Flour
    2 tablespoons Butter
    3 tablespoons Olive oil
    ½ cup Marsala, dry
    ½ cup Chicken or beef stock
    2 tablespoons Soft butter
    1.Season the veal scallops with salt and pepper, then dip them in flour and vigorously shake off the excess. In a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the 3 tablespoons of oil over moderate heat.
    2.When the foam subsides, add the scallops, 3 or 4 at a time, and brown them for about 3 minutes on each side. After they have browned, transfer them from the skillet to a plate.
    3.Pour off most of the fat from the skillet, leaving a thin film on the bottom. Add the Marsala and 1/4 cup of chicken or beef stock and boil the liquid briskly over high heat for 1 or 2 minutes. Scrape in any browned fragments clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan. Return the veal to the skillet, cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, basting the veal now and then with the pan juices.
    4.To serve, transfer the scallops to a heated platter. Add 1/4 cup of stock to the sauce remaining in the skillet and boil briskly, scraping in the browned bits sticking to the bottom and sides of the pan. When the sauce has reduced considerably, and has the consistency of a syrupy glaze, tasste it for seasoning. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in 2 tablespoons of soft butter, and pour the sauce over the scallops.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Do you know if they are loin rib or porterhouse? It makes a difference. Also if they are white (or provimi) veal.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Rib chops, white.
  • Little Steven
    Options

White veal comes from young male dairy cattle so they can be a little tough. Depends a lot on if they were aged or not. A hot cook (T-rex X-ert) can result in a chewy chop. I do them at around 375 - 400* till medium rare. Veal loin and porterhouse are more tender.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I've done them once, cooked them like I'd cook any other steak, and they came out great.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    As I said, a lot depends on aging. I've had really tender ones too but it's a safer bet to keep lower temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON