Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Another Pork Butt time estimation

friscoagfriscoag Posts: 97
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know there have been a bunch of talk lately about estimating time and yes I'm going to cook to temp, but I'm cooking 1 10 lb bone in butt, and about a 6 pound boneless butt at the same time.

What's your best guess on time? 15 hours for the big, 9 for small?
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,450
    Depends on temp cooking at. 15 hours will be close at 250 dome temp. I did a 9.5 lb one this last weekend and it was 14 hours.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • friscoagfriscoag Posts: 97
    yeah, 250-270 dome temp is what I like
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,450

Never done two at same time that vary that much in weight. I would say waiting 3-4 hours would be close. Who knows, right?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • friscoagfriscoag Posts: 97
    yeah just trying to estimate because I have a couple other things to cook as well
    ·
  • That all sounds about right to me. Wait 2-3 hours the. Throw on the little one.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,657
    Estimate long and then you can FTC if finished early-I usually see around 2 hrs/# at 250*F (+/-) on a calibrated dome for pork but each hunk is different.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·