Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Eggsperiments gone bad

njlnjl Posts: 865
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I like to try new things on the egg from time to time, but they don't always turn out like something I'd ever want to do again.  Tonight's eggsperiment, bacon wrapped sirloin steaks reverse seared.

I had 6 steaks (just over 3lbs total) of prime sirloin.  I wrapped each one in a slice of Wright brand bacon, using a stainless skewer to hold the bacon in place and gave them a little kosher salt, ground pepper, and spritz of olive oil. 

I had the crazy idea of using the plate setter and a catch pan to collect drippings to use in sauted mushrooms I'd do inside on the stove top.  I fired up the egg and had it up to 600F before I knew it...cooled it down to around 300F, tossed in a big hunk of hickory and put the plate setter in legs up with a foil pan.  About 10 minutes later, I added the steaks.  I flipped them every 6min or so, checking the temps.  After a little more than 20 minutes, the steaks were up to just over 110F, so I removed the steaks, removed the plate setter and empty catch pan (there were no drippings), and opened the vents to prepare for searing.  At 700F, I put the steaks back on to sear.  90s later, I opened the dome to flip them and realized searing temps + bacon fat = inferno on my steaks.  They survived, but there was quite a bit more charring than I like.  I actually pulled them all off instead of flipping them, checked temp, concluded that as much as I didn't like the idea, they had to go back in...so I closed the bottom vent half way and put the steaks back on to sear the other side.  After about a minute, I pulled them again, checked IT, and was satisfied that they were sufficiently cooked.

After a few minutes rest (for me and the steaks), I decided to cut into and taste the most charred one to see if it was worth continuing or if we were going out for dinner.  It was surprisingly still reasonably rare (how I like it), but probably one of the most bland steaks I've ever cooked.  They don't seem to have picked up any smoke flavor or any flavor from the bacon.  What happened?  This was only my second time doing a reverse sear on steaks, and first time doing it with the plate setter in for the initial "bake". 

One other thing that went wrong...at one point when flipping them, I figured dome temp was only 400F, and my tongs are about 18"...I can reach in there and flip these without the pit mitts.  While doing it, the back of my hand felt a little warm, and when I was done flipping steaks, I realized I'd singed off about half the length of all the hairs on the back of my hand. :(  The gap between the plate setter and side of the egg creates quite a hot spot.

Also, picking up a 400F plate setter was right about at the limit of what the pit mitts could handle.

Comments

• psalzerpsalzer Posts: 108
    Personally I have never had a reason to put anything on a steak except a little olive oil, salt and pepper. But that's just me.
  • Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    wow, sorry that the steaks came out too charred... yeah, fat drippings can do that...

I actually learned that lesson myself just a little while ago. 

My setup was this:  8 ears of corn, still in husks, 1 whole chicken (spatchcocked) and 4 good-sized chicken breasts. 

I decided to put the corn on default height grid, then put chicken on raised grid.  My thoughts were two-fold:
    1. I'd have to flip the chicken breasts every 5 or so minutes, so  I wanted them easily accessible, and
    2. I THOUGHT that the fat drippings from the chicken would drip onto the corn, and make a nice juicy, differently-flavored corn Egg-sperience.

REALITY:  chicken fat, like bacon fat, is flammable.  What ended up happening is that as the chicken fat dripped down onto the corn, and over the sides of the corn, into the coals, it caused the coals to flare-up & the flames (I'm presuming this is what happened) burned the husks to the point that they were pretty much black & all burnt off, and the corn was charred black. 

As soon as I'd realized just how black the husks were, I pulled the corn off, and then realized that the corn wasn't fully cooked yet, but still burnt... that SUX!!

Oh well, lessons learned (at least the chicken is still good - so far - it's still cooking as I type)!! hehe

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee