Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Janell's tamale recipe!!! WOW!

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
We had them for dinner tonight and they were wonderful. Thank you for posting the recipe.

90 today. Where did spring go?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Granny! TFJ (the Fabulous Janell) is sitting next to me as we speak. this is her first experience with the forum so she is a happy girl.

We are both glad you enjoyed, however we both laughed that you went through this labor of love on Cinco de Mayo. You gotta want it to make these tamales but they sure are good. 

We hit 96 by the pool here today so Spring has sprung. Welcome Summer.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Can y'all post the link to the recipe?  If Granny says it is wonderful then it is a cook to do.  Thanks
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    Would like to get it too. Sounds very good.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just bumped the original thread to the top.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks.  Really sounds good.  Here is a tip I was taught.  Drop a coin into the bottom of the steamer.  When you hear it rattling ...add more boiling water. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    It was a labor of love but I now have 4 more dinners in the freezer. Yum. It was a toss up between burgoo or tamales so we had tamales while watching the Derby. New tradition started.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great tip. TFJ says thanks.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I will add that little tip to Janell's recipe. I used my pasta pot so it was easy to lift up and check but a penny would be a little easier and fewer steam burns. Thanks.

You would not believe what I had to do to get anchos and corn husks - the store manager cruised the area and brought them back to the store for me. Anchos were found 25 miles away. Corn husks not so far.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow. We have anchos at the gas stations down here :)). (not kidding).