Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Egg sizes

ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, those of you out there with multiple eggs, do you find the different sizes cook differently? I ask because after 4 butts, and about 8 rib cooks on my medium, I've never needed to sauce anything. I only use a dry rub, don't baste, brine, foil, or use a water pan, and still get wonderfully moist and flavorful results every time.

My theory, is that possibly the smaller the egg, the more moist the meat stays, because: 1: we have established the stall is a result of evaporative cooling, and we know that a butt or brisket looses a significant amount of water weight during a cook. 2: with less air volume, and the same amount of water evaporating, the humidity level in the smaller egg will be higher by a significant amount helping keeping meat even more moist.

Feel free to debunk, it's just a theory, and may just be my way of coping with XL envy. :) And stike, if you want to jump in with some sciencey stuff, feel free.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    /shameless bump
    Pentwater, MI
  • I have three eggs, xl, lg & mini...have found that it is the method of the cook in an egg, i dont use anything anymore either on ribs...gotta love the egg

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    each size has a learning curve.... but after learning one, the other learning curves come quicker.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I don't think he's talking about learning how to cook on each egg, just do they actually "cook" differently. The egg, not the operator.

I understand what your saying. But don't feel that there is enough size difference or going to be humidity difference for you to notice. Not sayaing that it wouldn't e a measurable difference in humidity but just if you are measuring by the moisture in the end result of -insert meat- the ceramic and function of the egg is what cause that.

Does that make sense? Your not gonna make more moist chicken on a small than on an xL. It's all about cookig it to proper temp.

XLBGE 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited May 2012
    Since I have multiple Eggs (L, Md, S, Mi), I tend to use the size of the Egg that best matches the size of my cook. What that ends up meaning, is that I'm going to have proportionally more meat in my bigger Eggs. Everything comes out moist and juicy, regardless of Egg size.

I think I see what you're asking, though. If I was to cook two boneless, skinless chicken breasts on each Egg, would the chicken cooked on the large be any drier than the chicken cooked on the mini? After all, if we're talking about retaining humidity within the Egg, the large has a lot more air/room for that moisture to disperse into, than it does in the medium, small or mini. I would guess it has more to do with what temperature you're cooking your food to, than the humidity level within the Egg. It would be an interesting experiment to try, though.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)