Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Question about the Lodge Pro Pizza pan

DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do you preheat the Lodge CI pan in the egg, like you do a regular pizza stone or do you just put the pizza on it and then put in BGE?

TIA

Comments

• B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 211
    I haven't used one but assume you have to preheat, CI takes a while to get warm, if no preheating then toppings will get done and crust would be doughy
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Lodge website just gives instructions for conventional oven and they just put it in the oven.  Somebody will know.
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 446
    No point comparing it to a pizza stone. It won't do that same thing, preheated or not.
  • I let it preheat, while cooking oiled mushrooms on it, while preparing the crust. I try to get the youngster's pizza on the pan when it is 350°-450° because they like a Papa John's style crust. I let it get up to 700°-900° before I put the grown up's pizza on. We like a chewy, crusty, Neapolitan style (wood fired brick oven for 90-120 seconds) crust. It take less than 3 minutes. Putting $0.58 red clay bricks from Home Depot under the pan gets the pizza higher in the dome so the convection melts the cheese.

Setup

• LBGE firebox filled into the fire ring with lump
    • platesetter legs up (BGE says this is the only way to use it)
    • CI grate
    • red clay bricks
    • 14" Lodge CI Pizza pan
    • Publix pizza dough on parchment paper trimmed tight to the shape of the crust

I remove the parchment paper in less than 1 minute on the hotter cooks
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • No point comparing it to a pizza stone. It won't do that same thing, preheated or not.
    I had a pizza stone for 10 years prior to buying this. What do you expect to be different? The cast iron conducts a little bit more efficiently than a stone so it will char the crust quicker... which is what you want for a Neapolitan or NY style pizza.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 446
    No point comparing it to a pizza stone. It won't do that same thing, preheated or not.

I had a pizza stone for 10 years prior to buying this. What do you expect to be different? The cast iron conducts a little bit more efficiently than a stone so it will char the crust quicker... which is what you want for a Neapolitan or NY style pizza.

I agree it would get hotter faster, but it seems it would be more prone to uneven heating because it's thin. I suppose that if you strike the right balance between dome temp and pan temp, you'll get a good pizza.
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 194
    I let it preheat, while cooking oiled mushrooms on it, while preparing the crust. I try to get the youngster's pizza on the pan when it is 350°-450° because they like a Papa John's style crust. I let it get up to 700°-900° before I put the grown up's pizza on. We like a chewy, crusty, Neapolitan style (wood fired brick oven for 90-120 seconds) crust. It take less than 3 minutes. Putting $0.58 red clay bricks from Home Depot under the pan gets the pizza higher in the dome so the convection melts the cheese.

Setup

• CI grate
    • red clay bricks
    • 14" Lodge CI Pizza pan

I was under the impression you should use fire bricks inside the egg, in that a regular brick could crack / explode.  Any thoughts?

I let it preheat, while cooking oiled mushrooms on it, while preparing the crust. I try to get the youngster's pizza on the pan when it is 350°-450° because they like a Papa John's style crust. I let it get up to 700°-900° before I put the grown up's pizza on. We like a chewy, crusty, Neapolitan style (wood fired brick oven for 90-120 seconds) crust. It take less than 3 minutes. Putting $0.58 red clay bricks from Home Depot under the pan gets the pizza higher in the dome so the convection melts the cheese.

Setup

• CI grate
    • red clay bricks
    • 14" Lodge CI Pizza pan

Thanks Richard.  I have a great affinity for iron skillets, dutch overs, cornbread pans, etc.  Have gotten into having pizza every Friday night and I'm just sorta jonesing to try the CI pizza stone.
  • 70chevelle70chevelle Posts: 278
    I don't use the CI pizza pan, but I make pizza's in my #10 Griswold pan.  Occassionally it's warm from sauteing the toppings, but it's room temp most of the time.  I put it right in the oven or on the egg (@550*)and my crusts come out fine every time. 
    Thanks Chevelle.  #10 Griswold is a collector's piece.
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    Regular bricks are fine. I put them on the fire ring for a cheap raised direct solution. No problems.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013