Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Observations of High Que Grate vs. Stock BGE CI Grate

Options
B&BKnox
B&BKnox Posts: 283
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I originally posted this about 2 weeks ago at the "other" egg site.  Then I saw the post here about the high que grate, or any third party accessory, essentially voiding the warranty (kind of harsh) really, a woo, spider or adjustable rig, affect warranty?, I thought I should post it over here.  Someone mentioned the possibility of more radiant heat with the high que also contributing to the high heat I note below on the paver.  The theory being the stock CI grate may reflect/insulate more heat from the ash area of the egg.  Below is my original post, and since then my paver with the stock CI grate is certainly cooler than it is with the high que grate.

I have been Egging for close to one year now and just love the quality of food that comes off the egg. Like most others here eating out is no longer what it was pre-egg. 

I eventually got tired of having to use a wiggle rod to keep the stock CI charcoal grate open and air flowing freely on longer slow cooks and medium length 400 degree cooks. So I purchased a high que SS grate, which absolutely solved the air flow issue. More ash and small pieces fell through the larger openings, a small price to pay for better air flow. 

Then after many months with the high que I noticed how hot my paver under the egg became. Now I use a wood table with the standard paver and the 3 ceramic feet as a spacer between the egg and paver. On some 3 hour 400 degree cooks I could barely touch the paver and putting my hand under the paver near a wood support I could barely hold it there for 2 seconds. I became worried about the effect Naked Wiz discusses on his site about wood drying out and becoming more fire prone as it ages. 

I put the stock CI grid back in and have done several 3 hour 400 degree cooks since and noticed the paver is much cooler, Yes I have to use the wiggle rod some, but I can hold my hand on the paver indefinately. I have concluded that with the high que more small burning (orange) pieces fall thru the larger openings of the HQ grate heating the bottom of the egg much more which in turn heats the paver to much higher temperatures. 

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon using the high que?

Be Well
Be Well

Knoxville TN

Comments

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Options
    Very informative, makes sense.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    If you use a wiggle rod, it will void the warranty. 
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Not sure the wiggle rod will void the warranty as otherwise by that analogy any cooking utensils that are not BGE would also void it, you can't tell me I can only use their fish slice or tongs? ;)
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Not sure the wiggle rod will void the warranty as otherwise by that analogy any cooking utensils that are not BGE would also void it, you can't tell me I can only use their fish slice or tongs? ;)
    According to their warranty you can not use "any parts inside the EGG other than authentic BGE components." So I'm afraid the answer to your question is yes. I'm not sure how they would enforce this ("We aren't replacing you firebox because you used the wrong tongs.") but they put it there for a reason. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Use a nest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.