Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

The Ultimate Garlic Trick

danv23danv23 Posts: 407
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I tried this tonight making my juice for a Brat hot tub (with onion and peppers of course), and it works just like it says!!! Enjoy!!

http://screen.yahoo.com/how-to-peel-a-head-of-garlic-in-less-than-10-seconds-28971377.html?pb_list=6f29ab7a-fa3c-4269-969d-c4bac27d91ee

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA

Comments

• lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 179
    Looks interesting...but peppers with brats?
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 407
    Yep.  Julianne a couple of peppers, onions, and do the head of garlic trick.  Put that in a pot or aluminum pan with your favorite BBQ rub and fill with beer.  Put on at 300-325 and cook your brats at the same time to brown up nice.  When they are done, put them in the hot tub for a few hours.  You are looking for a simmer for reduction.  You'll never make them any other way!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    That's also a great way to hold them at temperature for longer periods. Perfect for groups that straggle in later or all night poker sessions.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    So you only do the hot tub, you don't do a few minutes of direct grilling at the end? 

I'll have to try it with peppers, so far, I've only done it with onions, roasted garlic (already had it on hand), and beer on the Egg until the brats hit 150f and then a quick 5 minute direct grill. 
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    edited April 2012

I am a big fan of the brat hot tub and that is a cool tip.  I will give that a try!

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 359
    So you only do the hot tub, you don't do a few minutes of direct grilling at the end? 

I'll have to try it with peppers, so far, I've only done it with onions, roasted garlic (already had it on hand), and beer on the Egg until the brats hit 150f and then a quick 5 minute direct grill. 
    I typically start direct and the brats hangout for as long as I have fuel, or until they're all gone.

Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 179
    Yep.  Julianne a couple of peppers, onions, and do the head of garlic trick.  Put that in a pot or aluminum pan with your favorite BBQ rub and fill with beer.  Put on at 300-325 and cook your brats at the same time to brown up nice.  When they are done, put them in the hot tub for a few hours.  You are looking for a simmer for reduction.  You'll never make them any other way!

I cook my brats @ about 325-350 turning often until firm, then into a brat tub, just a nice pilsner type beer, to keep warm for a few minutes while I finish getting the rest of dinner ready...more that 30 minutes in the "brat tub" and they get a "funky" texture that I don't like.

Oh, the most important rule at my house, never, NEVER, I mean NEVER par boil a sausage before it hits the grill.  Just nice low grill and turn often.  That's how my family has been doing it for all my 40 years.  My father would turn over in his grave if I par boiled.