Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mold

Fake_ChowFake_Chow Posts: 20
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am getting mold on the left side of my BGE, it is just over 1 year old, seems like rain may be getting through the felt seal, but it looks like it is flush.  Is there anything else that could be causing this?  Anything I can try/check or do I just need to make sure it is covered when not in use?  Thanks!

Comments

  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,034

    Based on your post if you think the inside of your BGE is getting mold, then after you initially light up the lump and have lots of the white smoke, when you shut the dome do you see smoke leaking around the gasket line...if not, then I'm at a loss and even with a gasket leak, fairly frequent use, even low&slow will keep the mold from growing.  Hopefully eggsperts will chime in.

    Louisville
  • Has it happened more than once? My answer to all things like this is light it on fire and let it burn hot to clean it out. I've never had mold in mine and it sits outside in the elements uncovered with gasket in various states of disrepair (for 7 years and running). If this is the first time it happened it could just be a one-off that can be fixed by fire.



  • that can be fixed by fire.


    My answer to many of life's problems :)
  • that can be fixed by fire.




    My answer to many of life's problems :)

    seems to always get the job done for me :)



  • Fake_ChowFake_Chow Posts: 20

    It has happened 3 x now, NO smoke around the gasket when cooking and it seems like there is a strong seal.  I see moisture after big rains, but travel a lot, so there are times that I am not sure if it rained or not.  The weight of the lid leads me to believe that there is no leak, but I cannot understand where the light water is getting in??

    I have asked a few of my friends with Eggs and they have not had this, thus I am going to those with much more knowledge to try and understand what could be happening or causing this....thanks !

  • It has happened 3 x now, NO smoke around the gasket when cooking and it seems like there is a strong seal.  I see moisture after big rains, but travel a lot, so there are times that I am not sure if it rained or not.  The weight of the lid leads me to believe that there is no leak, but I cannot understand where the light water is getting in??

    I have asked a few of my friends with Eggs and they have not had this, thus I am going to those with much more knowledge to try and understand what could be happening or causing this....thanks !

    Man, this seems strange. I wonder if there could be food in there that is not burned off and allowing mold to grow. I would light it up to 600-700 (buy a new gasket or decide what you want to do as far as that goes first) and let it burn out. That will eliminate any possible contaminate allowing mold to grow. 

  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    You dont need water for mold. Just a little damp

    In fact, a tight egg might be more inclined
    For example, might even have less mold if you left the vents open

    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I have seen this several times.  I have customers call me for consultations as well.  My only thought is that moisture is already in there when the lid is closed, then it is covered?  No idea.  I have had customers get the mold while the egg is covered with a good cover too.  It has always boggled me.

    I own 5 EGGs and have never had it happen to me. 

    You can burn the mold off with high heat before you cook next.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    The egg isnt watertight even with a perfect gasket. Crazing on the glaze allows water in, whether it's rain or just humidity.

    Again though, an airtight house will be the one that gets moldy.

    Not so much an issue of keeping moisture out as it's being kept in
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fake_ChowFake_Chow Posts: 20
    I did burn everything down, so that i could eliminate other food or something in the lump. I have been watching it very close and it seems like after a rain it is getting light moisture in it and then being sealed well enough to grow the mold. Gonna have to cover it b/f the next rain to confirm.
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited May 2012
    Covering it won't help. I easily get mold in mine, given I live in a high humidity area. It's worse in the Eggs that have sun hit them, directly. The thing that has helped the most, is when not in use, open the bottom vent wide (pull the screen door across though, so wasps can't get in), and figure out a way to lift the ceramic cap up a bit. so air can circulate through the Egg. I use two crossing strips of aluminum foil, that I've folded over and over, until they're about 1/4" thick. As the air in the Egg heats, it'll rise and escape out the top, drawing in (relatively) cooler and drier air from the bottom vent.
    BJ
    (Powhatan, VA)
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Chow you just need to cook on it more  :D
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,034
    Chow you just need to cook on it more  :D
    Don't know a cure beyond that...and I live in a high humidily environment but as said above fire will cure it all.  And sometimes (against my choice) I have not been able to fire it up for close to a week-and no mold issues...guess I'm lucky.
    Louisville
Sign In or Register to comment.