Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first steak results

Options
eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
For my first attempt at steak I chose NY Strips...about 1.5 inches thick...or just under. My favorite steak is Ribeye but my wife likes a leaner cut. So I wasn't sure what to do. I decided to go with advice I've received and just used kosher salt and pepper for seasoning. I watched a video on the official bge site and decided to go up to at least 650...but at times just over 700 degrees. Once at temp I used my gloves, grid lifter in one hand and cup of soaked mesquite chips in the other lifted the grid, spilled the chips and closed the lid. As soon as the dome temp read back at 700 degrees I tossed the steaks on the grid. I let them go for two minutes....then flipped them....ran them for another two...flipped them again, closed the lid, shut the vents and let about 3 minutes lapse. I used my Thermapen and they were not ready. It was interesting to me that internal temp wasn't getting high as fast as anticipated. I think my total time after the first two flips was another 10 minutes. I actually opened my bottom vent a little to keep temp up above 500 degrees. I pulled them as one steak read 157 and the other 163. These temps were a substantial quick jump from the previously read temp of 138. During the last 10 minutes I managed a fourth flip as I feared they would get too done on one side.

Okay, that's the crazy obsessive detailed version. Short version...they are the best steaks I've ever cooked! The smoke flavor, flavor of the meat itself....just fabulous. Would have been nice to pull them just a touch sooner. Also, meat was tender enough...but could have been more so to be perfect. Could be the grade of meat?

Any comments or advice for a better result in the future is much welcome.

Bonus Question!!! ...I'm about to do my first thick cut bone in pork chops tonight. Can I do them a similar way with high heat...or would it be better to use low or moderate heat? These chops are bone-in...about 1 inch thick. I'm planning on salt and pepper...and then basting them with Blues Hogg at the end.

Comments

• eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    Personally I like my steak pretty much blue but each to their own! If you want tender you should pull way before 163 to my mind,prolly bout 135 would be good but if that's too red for you maybe try a bit more. The higher the temp the less tender though, and less moist. As for pork chops 140 is done for me after that it gets real dry quick.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I love the T-Rex method. Egg at 700°+, sear 90 seconds at the fire line, flip and sear 2nd side 90 seconds. Pull the steaks and rest for 20 minutes and get the egg down to 400° then finish 6-7 minutes per side till you have the core temp as you want. WOW!

BTW, your steaks look good. I have another 20 minutes to go on some ribs and now I'm even more hungry.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Also, meat was tender enough...but could have been more so to be perfect. Could be the grade of meat?" 

Could be the grade of meat but my guess is that they are overdone a bit. Strips can get tough quickly as they get past med rare.

You can do the chops either way. A sear with bringing the temp down to finish would be OK. Just be careful with high temps and bbq  sauce. It can scorch very quickly if it has a lot of sugar (and most do) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks guys...great tips as usual! The steaks were so delicious I actually couldn't believe it! LOL So I think pulling them at a lower temp will be a good option. I am also curious about the T-Rex method. Great thing is....the steaks are fabulous even if not perfect so it's gonna be easy to experiment. I think I will sear the chops at about 600..reduce to 400 degrees and watch internal temp. Baste at about 135...pull at 140....or something close to this! LOL Have a great weekend guys!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks guys...great tips as usual! The steaks were so delicious I actually couldn't believe it! LOL So I think pulling them at a lower temp will be a good option. I am also curious about the T-Rex method. Great thing is....the steaks are fabulous even if not perfect so it's gonna be easy to experiment. I think I will sear the chops at about 600...baste at about 135...pull at 140....or something close to this! LOL Have a great weekend guys!
    sounds good to me. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Too much for me to read but they look good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    If you happen to have a small enough grate to fit just over the coals there is no need to get up to searing temps, just enough glowing coals at that distance will give an awesome sear! then put on your reg grate and your already to go, I think this is the best for steak too, jus a thought. Enjoy!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options

Glad you didn't suffer the "too much smoke flavor" comment as I found (only once-then never cooked that way again) that shutting down the BGE from around 700 to much less to finish the steak left too much smoke during the "dwell".  That said, here's a good link for steak cook methods and the main site has about all you need for a great trip up the BGE learning curve-of course that journey is never finished:)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Glad you didn't suffer the "too much smoke flavor" comment as I found (only once-then never cooked that way again) that shutting down the BGE from around 700 to much less to finish the steak left too much smoke during the "dwell".  That said, here's a good link for steak cook methods and the main site has about all you need for a great trip up the BGE learning curve-of course that journey is never finished:)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef 

Cap- looks like you guys are in store for some nasty weather tonight

• lousubcap
    Options
    At least for a short time-but I live about two blocks from the end of the local power distribution network (or so it seems) and have a generator; ran it for 200 hours straight ( and the beer locker is at the top of the priority list:)) in the Fall of 2008 when you guys let Hurricane Ike escape and do a fair amount of damage to my limp-wristed power grid.  That's my personal record and I never got close to that even when living on the fringes of the third world overseas.  Time will tell-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    At least for a short time-but I live about two blocks from the end of the local power distribution network (or so it seems) and have a generator; ran it for 200 hours straight ( and the beer locker is at the top of the priority list:)) in the Fall of 2008 when you guys let Hurricane Ike escape and do a fair amount of damage to my limp-wristed power grid.  That's my personal record and I never got close to that even when living on the fringes of the third world overseas.  Time will tell-
    good luck. Looks nasty. Well played on prioritizing the beer vault
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Always remember-if you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  The heavy hitting storms missed by about 5 -8 miles-but with the BGE who cares!! (Oh and the beer generator...)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

You cannot describe BGE cooks, you must experience them.  Welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Always remember-if you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time.  The heavy hitting storms missed by about 5 -8 miles-but with the BGE who cares!! (Oh and the beer generator...)
    glad to hear it cap. have a good night.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options
    Did tenderloins for lunch today.  ( my eyes tenderloin is the best )  i cook at 550 to 650 degrees.  2 min first, then flip for 5 then flip for 2 to 4 mins then done .  very juicy, even if i overcook, there still very good.  I don't know, but even on my gas grill i always cooked a steak fast and had good results