Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Another gasket question

tbk420tbk420 Posts: 70
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Mine is fried, and in need of replacement.  There is a large camp that does not even use a gasket, but I'd like a bit of cushion in case the top slips out of my hand or something.

Question is this:  I really do not want to remove bands or disassemble to do this, so I was planning to just replace the bottom gasket, and leave the top without.  Since many folks run without any at all, my hope is that it makes little difference.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I don't take my dome off to replace gaskets. You can easily do top and bottom without removing if you want.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE &1 MiniMax BGE
    1- Large BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    Roccbox-Blackstone 36
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I use Rutland....bottom only. Rutland is a thicker gasket material so really only doing one side is possible

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • tbk420tbk420 Posts: 70
    Thanks to both of you - sounds like I'm going to be good either way!
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,897
    edited April 2012
    If you going to do a Rutland, ONLY do the top or bottom, not both.  A Rutland is at least twice as thick as the original gasket and the Nomex replacement gaskets.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    I have a nonexistent waiting for the stock to go, but I know ill be trying a few low and slows first
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tbk420tbk420 Posts: 70
    Thanks, folks.  Good to know that I'm on the right track.
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I have a nonexistent waiting for the stock to go, but I know ill be trying a few low and slows first
    Nonexistent? Stupid phone. Nomex
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!