Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

stuck dome

smokinsoonersmokinsooner Posts: 161
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did a high heat cook/clean last night...and now I can't get the dome open, it's fused. I really don't have time to mess with it this morning, but any suggestions on getting it open tonight without doing damage?
BOOMER!
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,375
    I gently pryed mine open, which did nothing good for the gasket.  How about putting some big pieces of lump in the ash pit and lighting with a heat gun or torch?  Would that burn well enough to heat the dome and unstick it?  I suppose you could get some lump going outside the Egg and drop it through the chimney for the same effect.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    original gasket? if so consider it gone. If it's really stuck try a skinny putty knife, it won't damage the ceramic. could always try heating it up to loosen it. Put a starter cube in thru the draft door
    ·
  • Might be a good ideal to stop by and pick up a new gasket from your local dealer as this one is toast.
    ·
  • Also what I like to do after a High Heat cook is get the temp down to 350 then open it up every 15-20 min to help it cool down faaster and to ensure the gaskets are sticking together.
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2012
    Just work a butter knife through in several places.  It will open right up.  Your gaskets a gonner though.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320

This is probably way late but if you take a Olfa tupe razor knife carefully around between the gaskets you will be fine. I always find the gasket holds better after the first weld

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • thanks to all... knew the gasket needed to be replaced, and I needed a good cleaning. Just didn't think I would melt the gasket to the point I couldn't get back in. It took some prying, and a few "colorful" words to get it open again!
    BOOMER!
    ·