Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuck dome

Options
smokinsooner
smokinsooner Posts: 161
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did a high heat cook/clean last night...and now I can't get the dome open, it's fused. I really don't have time to mess with it this morning, but any suggestions on getting it open tonight without doing damage?
BOOMER!

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I gently pryed mine open, which did nothing good for the gasket.  How about putting some big pieces of lump in the ash pit and lighting with a heat gun or torch?  Would that burn well enough to heat the dome and unstick it?  I suppose you could get some lump going outside the Egg and drop it through the chimney for the same effect.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    original gasket? if so consider it gone. If it's really stuck try a skinny putty knife, it won't damage the ceramic. could always try heating it up to loosen it. Put a starter cube in thru the draft door
  • supervisor404
    Options
    Might be a good ideal to stop by and pick up a new gasket from your local dealer as this one is toast.
  • supervisor404
    Options
    Also what I like to do after a High Heat cook is get the temp down to 350 then open it up every 15-20 min to help it cool down faaster and to ensure the gaskets are sticking together.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just work a butter knife through in several places.  It will open right up.  Your gaskets a gonner though.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

This is probably way late but if you take a Olfa tupe razor knife carefully around between the gaskets you will be fine. I always find the gasket holds better after the first weld

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokinsooner
    Options
    thanks to all... knew the gasket needed to be replaced, and I needed a good cleaning. Just didn't think I would melt the gasket to the point I couldn't get back in. It took some prying, and a few "colorful" words to get it open again!
    BOOMER!