Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a swing grate.

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about getting a swing grate from ceramic grill works. Does anybody have one? What are your thoughts?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    I have one (got it last summer) and it works well.  Great accessory-adjustable height and the swivel makes easy access. The swivel grate is 15" dia.  It is very well-built. I'm very satisfied although to be fair I have not used anything from cgs-know a few eggers who do use the cgs AR and like it but you have fixed heights and have to work for below the top level access.  Their customer service is top-notch.  Give them a call and watch their videos.  I'm sure others will chime in.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

can you adjust thecooking hieghts with that?

The adjustable rig from CGS has a slide out grate option.  To allow easy access to lower grid that is at the gasket level.

• cortguitarman
    I'm pretty sure that the height of the top swing rack OS adjustable.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    I'm pretty sure that the height of the top swing rack OS adjustable.
    You are right and hopefully you will get more responses.  Bumping here in hopes of same.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    I'm 99% sold. I just don't have the cash. Looking forward to doing veggies on the top grid and cooking direct on the bottom. Also an opportunity to cook a boat load of meat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    I just ordered one for my LBGE yesterday- along with a wok!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I'm currently working on the Wife Appoval Factor... I have the grill extender from BGE, but it's certainly not very convenient for accessing the food on your lower rack.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • I'm currently working on the Wife Appoval Factor... I have the grill extender from BGE, but it's certainly not very convenient for accessing the food on your lower rack.
    I have that thing too (i think we all do). Worthless
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Someone figured out that the BGE grill extender is great for use on the burning lump for searing steaks-drop in down, do the sear then finish at the regular height. At least that moves the needle slightly off worthless, but not far!
  • Someone figured out that the BGE grill extender is great for use on the burning lump for searing steaks-drop in down, do the sear then finish at the regular height. At least that moves the needle slightly off worthless, but not far!
    I saw that and I'll give that a try. Most action that thing has seen since I was hoodwinked into buying it with my egg 7 years ago. Still looks brand new
  • tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    I am in a unique position as I own BOTH the Swing Rack and Adjustable Rig R&B Combo with extender and slide guide.

I like both of them very much and both have their advantages. Since you asked specifically about the CGW Swing Rack I will focus on it.

Pros: 
    • Wonderful for large cooks both Direct and Indirect in that you can adjust the height of the top grate in an infinite range of heights (limited only by the length of the bar stock
    • Extremely well made and built like a tank. It WILL last forever
    • Easy access to lower grate; simply swing the top grate out
    • Once seasoned after 4-5 cooks, it is totally non-stick! I was amazed at how well it seasoned
    Cons:
    • The bar stock hits the platesetter when using it and limits the height adjustment of the top rack (I suggest highly getting a Spider and stone from Tom at CGS to use instead - it fixes the issue)
    • The set screws for adjusting the grate height are easy to drop into the BGE if you aren't careful. (Maybe Franco could put a few extras in with each order ;-) )
    The CGW Swing Rack is a great product and I highly recommend it, but if you get one I also recommend the Spider and 13" stone from Tom at CGS

I plan on doing video reviews of both in the coming week and will post here when complete.

• Would love to hear about the rig too. Thanks for the insight

• BRush00

The CGW Swing Rack is a great product and I highly recommend it, but if you get one I also recommend the Spider and 13" stone from Tom at CGS

I plan on doing video reviews of both in the coming week and will post here when complete.

Interesting....

I never really thought of it before, but I guess I had the same problem with my stock SS grate & extender... 1st time I did ribs and beerbutt chicken, the top of the chicken (on the extender) was actually touching the top of my dome. 

My hope was that I would be able to lower the swing grate enough to get the bird a bit lower & under the dome better.

I guess the use of a spider and 13" stone simply is to replace the platesetter in an indirect cook? 
  • tmackie

Interesting....

I never really thought of it before, but I guess I had the same problem with my stock SS grate & extender... 1st time I did ribs and beerbutt chicken, the top of the chicken (on the extender) was actually touching the top of my dome. 

My hope was that I would be able to lower the swing grate enough to get the bird a bit lower & under the dome better.

I guess the use of a spider and 13" stone simply is to replace the platesetter in an indirect cook? 
    Yes. The Spider and Stone replace the platesetter. You don't have the large legs in the way of airflow and the Spider can be put in so that it sits several inches lower than the platesetter. The Spider can be used for other things too (Wok Cooking, Searing at the coal level, etc...)

You have motivated me - I may make a video or two this afternoon....
  • lousubcap
    @ tmackie-Interesting comment about the bar-stock and platesetter.  I was concerned about that and when I spoke with cgw (Franco) he said that was not an issue as they moved the bar stock hole to the outer most edge of the main grate.  I do not have any issues with being able to use the full range of the bar stock even with indirect cooks.  Perhaps a running change.
  • tmackie
    I received mine less than 90 days ago and here's a picture

It's several inches in and its definitely an issue. I'll take a pic and post shortly

• lousubcap
    Definitely different placement than mine which I got last summer-Don't do much with pics-but the outer edge of my bar stock hole is one inch from the outside edge of the main grate.  And there is major structural reinforcement along the bottom center of both top and main grate.  No idea which version they are selling now but I would definitely talk with them before ordering and let them know you want the one designed to clear the BGE platesetter.  It does exist.
  • tmackie
    Wow! That ticks me off if one I ordered a couple months ago doesn't clear and one from a year ago does. I need to ask Franco what's up!

Here are some pics confirming the issue

A look down the hole with the top grate removed

And another showing the issue itself. If the placement was 3/4" different there would be no issue

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I am in a unique position as I own BOTH the Swing Rack and Adjustable Rig R&B Combo with extender and slide guide.

I like both of them very much and both have their advantages. Since you asked specifically about the CGW Swing Rack I will focus on it.

Pros: 
    • Wonderful for large cooks both Direct and Indirect in that you can adjust the height of the top grate in an infinite range of heights (limited only by the length of the bar stock
    • Extremely well made and built like a tank. It WILL last forever
    • Easy access to lower grate; simply swing the top grate out
    • Once seasoned after 4-5 cooks, it is totally non-stick! I was amazed at how well it seasoned
    Cons:
    • The bar stock hits the platesetter when using it and limits the height adjustment of the top rack (I suggest highly getting a Spider and stone from Tom at CGS to use instead - it fixes the issue)
    • The set screws for adjusting the grate height are easy to drop into the BGE if you aren't careful. (Maybe Franco could put a few extras in with each order ;-) )

@ TMackie - can you list the pros and cons of the adjustable rig.  I am considering get the adjustable rig w/ the slideable arms and would love to hear some other peoples thoughts on this.  I like this one because you can adjust the cooking height and seems really stable for large chunks of meat.
  • lousubcap
    I would not have purchased if there was a clearance issue with the platesetter.  For the $$ invested I would definitely give them a call and ask for the different main grate.  Can't believe they are still selling your version (I believe that's the original design) to BGE owners.   
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Ive gotta say, I have adjustable rig(love the hell out of it) and the BGE grid extender. I can honestly say it's not useless. and fits perfectly on the top level of my rig for a 3 level cook.
  • Ive gotta say, I have adjustable rig(love the @#!*% out of it) and the BGE grid extender. I can honestly say it's not useless. and fits perfectly on the top level of my rig for a 3 level cook.
    Well, I have one and looking for ways to use it. My mind is open. Really want that rig too. Looks like I have to pull the trigger

• tmackie
    @ TMackie - can you list the pros and cons of the adjustable rig.  I am considering get the adjustable rig w/ the slideable arms and would love to hear some other peoples thoughts on this.  I like this one because you can adjust the cooking height and seems really stable for large chunks of meat.
    MikeP624,

Here's my quick $.02 on the Adjustable Rig from CeramicGrillStore.com

Pros:
    • Modular Design - VERY flexible and you can set it up in dozens of different ways. 
    • I have the Rib & Brisket Combo with the 13x17 oval grates and 13x17 oval stone this setup is IDEAL for Ribs, Brisket, Pork Loins, Prime Rib, etc... ANY elongated cut of meat
    • All Stainless construction: weatherproof, easy cleanup , etc...
    • You can easily get to the fire box during a cook to add chunks, etc... because the indirect piece is in the bottom of the rig. THIS IS AWESOME
    • The slide guide allows you to remove a grate and rotate your meat or simply to get to the bottom tier easily 
    Cons:
    • The only one I can think of is all of the parts I have to store and keep up with. I guess you could easily keep the rig intact in your BGE, but I swap around quite a bit and have bought a couple of the clear plastic storage containers to keep my Eggcessories in
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Wow I see there's been some discussion regarding our system. First off I want to thank everyone that has purchased our system, obvisously without you we wouldn't be anywhere so thank you very much.

I see there's confusion regarding the placement of the bar stock. We did for a short time relocate the hole on the main grate to allow clearance for the any type of indirect setup below the main grate, oddly enough in trying to cure one problem another one developed....and that a tipping issue once the upper was swung out to its furtherest point. So we went back to our original design.

We now off a bar stock kit in different sizes which will allow even more height options and still allow you to use your indirect setups.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us. Hope this explains things a bit more. We will also do some videos showing this very topic.

Thanks again
    Franco
    Ceramic Grillworks
    1-877-714-7455
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • lousubcap

Well-that explains all the above...

• BRush00
    Interesting Thoughts all.

So... with the standard CGW Swing Grate, which does hit the plate-setter, How much clearance is there between the main, and upper grate?  At a minimum and maximum for example?  I realize that the bar-stock hits the platesetter, but obviously you get some fashion of tiered system still. 

CGW1 - thanks for the clarification on your system.  Have you ever done measurements on your swing grate to see how much clearance there is between the upper rack and the top of the BGE?  The problem I mentioned above (beer butt chicken touching the top of my egg) comes to mind.  Can I lower the upper grate enough so that I can put a chicken upright without contacting my egg, while I've got ribs in foil on the bottom?

Hard to explain, and unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it.  The upper part of the chicken was actually partially blocking the top vent of the egg...
  • tmackie
    BRush00

With the "Standard" bar stock I get about 5-5 1/2 inches between the main grate and the bottom of the top grate.(that's with the grate lowered to the point that the bar hits the platesetter)

The chicken and ribs one I've never tried but my guess is that there would not be enough room for a vertical chicken on top with food underneath. (Spatchcock chickens would be no problem)

I will definitely post some video reviews to YouTube early next week and try to show as much detail as possible on both setups.
  • BRush00
    Thanks tmackie!

gonna have to do some investigation.... I've only had the egg about a month, and the wife's already scared at the amount of eggessories.
  • lousubcap

Was out doing some measurements (indirect setup with platesetter) with the modified system-minimum clearance main grate to swing rack 1 5/8". With swing rack at that position there is about 7 3/4" clearance to the beginning of LBGE vent-two factors here-sounds like they don't make the modified rig any more but if they do then the length of the chicken may well eat up the rest of the clearance. 

Couple of fire bricks and a cheap weber grate can get you to a simple raised grid setup.

@tmackie-difference between 5+" minimum clearance and 1 5/8" is quite a bit-really eats into the BGE vertical real estate.

• BRush00
    hmm... Very interesting.  So CGW's solution to the plate-setter is a secondary length of bar stock... they claim the standard stock is 7.5" long, while their shortest is 5.5"... I suppose that takes our main-top grate difference down to 3-4" huh?

Interesting....