Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much temp fluctuation?

maxPowers
maxPowers Posts: 38
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a low and slow Boston butt and put it on the egg about 90 minutes ago. Temp is pretty dialed in on 250 and stayed constant for about an hour. Now I am starting to see some fluctuations up to about 260. Going to go to bed soon and want to feel comfortable that the egg will stay steady.

How much fluctuation is normal over the course of a cook? Is 10 degrees either way normal and will it self settle? Over the course of the night, should I have to make changes to the daisy wheel as the meat temp changes and the fat renders, or should I just stop watching so closely?

Comments

• maxPowers
    Thanks Tweev. I checked at 2 am and again at 6 am and it seemed pretty solid at 258. Maybe the first hour I didn't have temps fully stabilized. Not going to touch anything at this point. Thanks!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Your cold meat was probably holding the temp down for that first hour. Once it warmed up, it stabilized at around 260.
  • maxPowers
    Your cold meat was probably holding the temp down for that first hour. Once it warmed up, it stabilized at around 260.
    Interestingly, near the end of the cook, the grill temp started rising again.  Once it came out of the 170 region the grill temp went up by about 15 degrees.