Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Missing my Egg in the Keys....

LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 783
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I dropped the 9 month off w the grandparents in New Smyrna and drove south to Islamorada to do sum sport fishing. Ended up w Mahi, tuna, and Amberjack. Sad to say my Lg Egg is in Atl. Can't wait to get home and get her salty. http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh612/jholland70/f7b9113b.jpg

Comments

• XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 604
    nothing beats staying in islamorada... id forget about my egg there
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 783
    All this great fish, just want to cook it properly. Thinking hard about a mini for the next trip.
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 5,060
    I went fishing a couple of times, and spent a night at the home of Capt. Don Gurgiolo on Islamorada.

A very fond memory.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

Here's one w the wife. The 1st pic was w the Capt. http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh612/jholland70/1acd3e9f.jpg
    My frat brother charters his own boat down here. We've had 2 great trips down fishing w him.
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,983
    The best thing about islamorada is being in boat range of north and south bimini. They sell codeine over the counter and rum in a bottle with a cork and no label is easy to find.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Dolphin and yellowfin is good eatin. Amberjack is fun to catch
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 579
    Those tuna look yummy, too. I remember when we were in Costa Rica, the captain of our fishing charter called them "footballs" because of the shape. We had fresh caught sushi on the boat, on the way back to shore. Best fish I've ever eaten, without a doubt.
    Athens, GA
    The Mahi was prepared 3 different ways at one of the local restaurants and the Tuna was prepared raw. Delicious to say the least.
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Ohhhhhhhh I so wish I was in the Key's right now.   You can't tell it - but the pic on my profile was taken not far off of Little Torch Key - headed into Little Palm Resort.

Cookin in Texas
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Did a vacation there about 6 years ago at Hawk Kay. Great time. 
    Did some fishing with the inlaws: 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    Good looking catch Taz. My wife and I love it down there. Spent our honeymoon down there fishing.
    If anyone has some pointers on how to cook the Mahi (temp, spices, etc) I'd love to hear em. Gonna be back home to the Egg on Sunday.

Tazcrash -- I love hawks kay - highly recommend it for anyone visiting the keys.   Too funny, I know more or less exactly where you are standing in those photos.  Have been tied up down the row closer to the fuel pumps before.

this thread is giving me the itch to go to the keys....

Cookin in Texas
  • Tazcrash -- I love hawks kay - highly recommend it for anyone visiting the keys.   Too funny, I know more or less exactly where you are standing in those photos.  Have been tied up down the row closer to the fuel pumps before.

this thread is giving me the itch to go to the keys....
    I'll be there (Key West, but we like to get around)  for the first time September 5th. 20th anniversary trip.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling

Cen-Tex -- have you ever been to Little Palm, if not - it is a one of a kind experience.   Feel free to hit me with any questions if you want, tend to spend some time in the keys.

Cookin in Texas
  • Cen-Tex -- have you ever been to Little Palm, if not - it is a one of a kind experience.   Feel free to hit me with any questions if you want, tend to spend some time in the keys.

Bring it. never been to the keys. Looking for the good stuff. be there for 9 days. Staying at the Waldorff in Key West (I think the original one, but not sure yet)
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 366
    The Waldorf used to be several chains. If you're talking about Casa Marina, that was the hotel Henry Flagler built as the terminating point of the Overseas Railroad. I was born down there in Key West back in 1960.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    We stayed at Ocean Key Resort right across from Sunset Key @ Mallory Square. Place is beautiful!!
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    I'd cook the mahi between 400-425 degrees until its opaque. It depends on how thick the filets or steaks are. More than likely 5 to 8 minutes a side.