Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Platesetter?

Options
crmilt
crmilt Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to clean the Platesetter?   Mine has dark "soot" (do not know how else to describe it) on it and when I pick it up without gloves my fingers get black on them.   Light scraping with wire brush does not help clean the dark substance.

Thanks!
__________ Chris

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Get your egg as hot as you can and put the setter in and close the lid. Wait an hour and then flip the thing. It will be white and clean as the day you baught it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Travis forgot to say to have on gloves when you flip it (and don't take your time) :!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Do a search for "clean burn" and you will find the preferred cleaning method-that said, I'm of the school where if it's not interfering with the cooks and the significant other has no comment (doesn't see it) then all is well.  The dark "soot" is the same as that which is lining your entire BGE-clean burn will take care of that as well-and likely fry your gasket unless you have upgraded.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Thx to all for the advice.  I have upgraded my gasket.
    __________ Chris
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    To be clear, is it safe (for the platesetter) to put a cold platesetter into a super hot egg, or should the platesetter go in immediately or shortly after lighting the egg, and be allowed to come up to temperature a little more gradually?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    To be clear, is it safe (for the platesetter) to put a cold platesetter into a super hot egg, or should the platesetter go in immediately or shortly after lighting the egg, and be allowed to come up to temperature a little more gradually?
    I would heat it with the Egg, not put it in cold.  It is amazing how clean they come out.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys