Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

High temp problem

ajridge35ajridge35 Posts: 57
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Loaded up the egg with Royal Oak, put in my weber cube and lit it. Waited about 5 minutes, stirred up the coals. Waited a few more minutes. No flame in sight, the coals were white but zero fire whatsoever. 

So, I closed the vents to extinguish what little heat I had in the egg, which took all of 7 minutes. I emptied my whole egg from top to bottom and removed all dust. Yes, there was a ton - 1st time I've emptied it since owning it. I assumed this was the problem, since minimal air was getting to the flames.

Loaded up the egg with the charcoal again, essentially starting over fresh. Threw on the weber cube, and after 10 minutes, same result - very weak fire (no more than 200*). Holes in the fire box were clean, and the only thing I could possibly think of was that I had quite a few small pieces of lump at the bottom of the pile of charcoal in the egg. 

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated - thank you!
·

Comments

• SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    Sounds like a lump problem, maybe wet.
    ·
  • don't stir the fire for 20 minutes after lighting a cube. Or don't stir it at all (I don't). Just light it and let it go for a while.

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,446
    Sounds like you were in an awful hurry.  Even with a dusty bottom of the bag stuff if will get going eventually.  I have never stirred the coals after starting.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • ajridge35ajridge35 Posts: 57
    Roger that - no stir. Thanks fellas!
    ·