Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temp Cooking Quest

Options
atlegg22
atlegg22 Posts: 33
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello. Quick question on cooking foods which require a high temperature. I keep both the top and bottom vents open to reach the high temps. When I'm happy with the temp, I notice the flames are shooting up the sides when peering through the top vent. Is this normal or should I do something different to try and calm the flames. Thanks.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Totally normal and a good sign you have reached blast furnace hot. just be very careful when opening the lid at this temp. Add a blast of oxygen to this by opening the lid and you have recipe for a big flashback (fire shooting up your arm and singeing your hair. Also be very careful opening the dome after choking a hot fire like this down. It's even more violent and can knock you back if you aren't ready for it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • atlegg22
    atlegg22 Posts: 33
    Options
    Appreciate the response. Thought maybe I had to someway calm the flames to avoid charring the food.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Appreciate the response. Thought maybe I had to someway calm the flames to avoid charring the food.
    Those flames don't char the food. The stuff that rolls up the sides and out the top is actually gas that is created through intense heat on the lump. I'm sure there is a more scientific explanation, but for our purposes today, just go with it.  (Carefully) look down there some time through the top vent. It's really cool. There are little balls of gas that dance around in there and roll out the top.  If you are worried about charring the food, lower the temp. All the heat comes from the bed of lump.The flames out the top and running up the sides are of no concern to the cook. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX