Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Boston Butts

Options
Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Comrades,

I am most likely going to get 2 butts from Sam's today after work to smoke again.  Even though I can eat a tremendous amount of pulled pork, I only want to do one.  Do they freeze well?  Should I freeze before or after rub?

Comments

• crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    Options

Funny....I did the same thing last month but i actually froze both and cooked one about 2 weeks later and the second one i cooked about 2 weeks after that.....they were perfect! I couldnt tell if there were any drawbacks from freezing them....

JC

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I'd cook them both, pull it, use a food saver to put the pork into 1 pound bags and THEN freeze it.  Easy meals for some time to come.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Choke on smoke nailed it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yes, protect from freezer burn. You can even cook from frozen

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like choke's idea too. They will be fine either way but that's the ticket if you can do it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

We always try to have froozen pulled pork and brisket in the freezer.   We use it for everything.   Had enchadas this week, instead of the ground beef in the recipe we used froozed pulled pork.   When we want a pizza - we pull either pork or brisket out of the freezer.

Making hamburgers, take a pound of ground bison, mix in half a lb of pulled pork that has been chopped - takes a burger to a whole new level.

So, with either Butts or Brisket, when one is finished, we eat on it for a day or so, then chop the rest.   Put about a pound into each bag.  Drop into the freezer.

Pull them out a bag at time.   When you bring the smoky flavor of a butt or brisket into recipie that just uses normal meat - will take it a new level.

Cookin in Texas