Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

Options
Crabbie
Crabbie Posts: 1
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am a longtime loyal user of the Egg, but have never tried the above.  I was hoping to get some tips from anyone who has made these before.  I have a rack to use, so I am planning on using whole Jalapenos, with the top cut off and cored, then stuff with cream cheese and wrap with bacon.  My questions are as follows, do you precook the Bacon first or wrap it raw and cook all the same time?  I want the bacon cooked, but not ruin the pepper by cooking too long.  What temperature do you recommend and how long do you cook them?  Should I use the platesetter or cook directly on the grill?  Thanks, I appreciate any feedback on this. 

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I've only made them once, came out great, and here was what I did (only technique, not recipe): 

Cut peppers long-wise, Leave stem cap so cream cheese won't fall out. 
    de-seed, and de-rib, stuff with filling, wrap in raw bacon (cooked bacon just don't bend that way :) )
    Cooked direct, but raised ~350.

bacon was crisped, and peppers tender.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I've never pre-cooked the bacon. They are pretty forgiving as far as time and temps go. The lower the temp and longer you take to cook them, the more heat you cook out of the pepper (ie not as spicy) at least in my experience. I'd shoot for anywhere from 250-350, depending on what else you have on the grill. Use a placesetter or a raised grate. The bacon will let you know when they are done. Pull them when its as crispy as you want it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Attached is a recipe I use..
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    edited April 2012
    Options

Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" />12 Jalapenos (Fresh)
    1/2 Lb Sausage, Cooked

1/3 Cup Onion, Finely Diced
    1Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Cup Finely Shredded Cheese (Whatever You Like)

3 Oz Cream Cheese

1 Egg

1 Tsp Old Bay Seasoning

Salt & Pepper to Taste

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
    1/4 Cup Canned Seasoned Bread Crumbs

Core the Jap with an apple corer and rinse out any seeds. Poke a hole in the bottom of the jalapenos with a tooth pick to allow any oil from the bacon or cheese to drain out. It also helps to let air out making them easier to stuff with the jerky gun.

Mix all other ingredients except the bacon together, stuff peppers. Place 1/3 piece of bacon on top and secure with a tooth pick.

Grill / bake @ 350° for about 40 minutes for spicy or 60 minutes for milder. Or put them in the smoker for about 3 Hours at 210° - 225°.

Note : It’s best to use a beef jerky gun to fill the jalapenos. Everything has to be chopped or diced small enough to go through the Stuffing tube of the jerky gun.

• Crabbie
    Crabbie Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.  What do you use to raise the grate if you aren't using the platesetter?

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    If you don't have an adjustable rig or a grate extender, you can use something as simple as 3 beer/soda cans or 3 paver blocks. Some have built ones using nuts and bolts.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Go for it, they are great. Going to do some of these during hockey play offs.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    i still wanted some direct fire, but not that too close to the flame for dripping bacon fat. 
    It was a first attempt, next time will be indirect.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    If you don't have an adjustable rig or a grate extender, you can use something as simple as 3 beer/soda cans or 3 paver blocks. Some have built ones using nuts and bolts.
    I use 3 brick pavers I picked up for about $0.35 each. It is a  little unstable, though. I may try the nuts and bolts method.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I use 3 brick pavers I picked up for about $0.35 each. It is a  little unstable, though. I may try the nuts and bolts method.
    I did an improvised raised grate for spatchcock chicken yesterday. Placed three firebricks that I happen to have laying around on their sides on top of the firebox ring and placed my grate on them. I agree with you - not very stable. Had to be careful working with the food so the bricks wouldn't fall in and the grate liked to slide around a bit. Been running ideas through my giant sixth grade educated brain on how to stabilize the setup. Perhaps drilling a hole through the center of each of the bricks with a masonry bit and welding up a three spoke dealy out of redi-rod to hold them in place. Next issue would then be figuring out how to keep the grate from sliding around. I know I could buy some accessories for raised grate, but I'm kinda cheap and don't have any money left after buying the Egg!  :)
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    twlangan:

You need two grids. Put the firebricks between the grids.
  • mike5906
    Options
    This is how I make mine.  

I probably cook them two or three times a week.  Sometimes I'll make just two with something else I am cooking.  Sometimes I'll make a dozen or more.  I love them! :-)
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    Griffin said:
    how does egged beer taste?  :))
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 direct and raised. I mix goat cheese and cream cheese. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.