Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I love wings of all kinds and when I stumbled on Picutre-Perfect Meals blog about Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings, I knew I had to try them and see if they lived up to what I remember having in Jamaica.

Mine got a marinade for 24 hours

Then went on the the Egg at 400F with the grate extender and cherry wood chips (dang I wish I had some pimento wood to be authentic)

After about 25-30 mintues they were done and served up with some curly fries and an ice cold Red Stripe

So tasty and its the closet to authentic I've had since being in jamaica. Definitely will do again. More pics and the recipe HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks really tasty, Grif.  Never had Jamaican jerk.  It'll be on my short list.  Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    mmmmmm, tasty.  Very nice presentation as well, I love the "basket" effect.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Those look amazing! Was your marinade anything like this? I use this on steaks with the addition of letting the ribeyes marinate in teriyaki sauce before slathering this rub on.

• 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
    • green onion, coarsely chopped
    • 1/2 to 1 habanero or Scotch bonnet chile, coarsely chopped
    • 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
    • cloves garlic
    • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 2 (1-pound, 2-inch thick) boneless rib-eye steaks
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Looks really good griffin. I have never done the marinade but will try this soon.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    It's on my short list..
  • Griffin

Thanks y'all. They were very tasty...I'm about to get up and eat the leftovers.

The wife picked up some of the baskets (red and blue) and the paper last week at World Market. She thought it would be perfect for summer bbqs, hamburgers and such and would make clean up a breeze. She also thought it would look good on the blog.

Eggbertsdad - seems like it would be very similar. Lots of the same flavors, but yours would have more texture with the cipped onions, chiles, ginger and garlic, which might be a good thing. great....now I have another recipe to test out. Thanks for sharing yours.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggbertsdad
    I've never made my own Jamaican jerk rub until a couple of years ago. I'd always used a dry rub. It is night and day the intensity between the jarred and making your own.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Oh for sure. I'm never going to buy bottled stuff again (although I decided that awhile back)

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggbertsdad
    I was finally able to get your attachment to open with your recipe. That looks better for wings. The one I make for steaks is pretty intense. My brother thought it was guac the 1st time he saw it and he dipped a big ole scoop out of it on a chip and you could see the steam coming out of his ears. 
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    I have to try them.  My wife and I have been to Jamaica a few times and the last time my wife was pissed at me.  we where at an all inclusive and I ate jerk chicken every day for lunch.  We are talking about going again but if I can get some of the Jamaican em entities right here I can save myself a few grand.  Sunday night dinner is planned
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited April 2012
    Check out my handle and you can guess I've had jerk once or twice. I made some Jerk the other day for the In-Laws house party. I typically use a paste/marinade similar to the one posted above. In a pinch, the pre-made jars are also pretty exceptional. I've been cooking jerk for years now and many say it's the best they've had.

On the egg, I do jerk indirect with applewood chunks for smoke. Slash and stab each piece of chicken for marinade penetration (very important). Marinate the chix (I usually go with wings and drums) overnight. Get the egg stabilized indirect 300-350 degrees. Spray both sides of the chix with light coat of canola oil or evo. Flip the pieces halfway through the cook. I cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until dark brown. I usually serve it with roasted corn and plantains or whatever's around the house.

DI HOTTA DI BETTA!!!!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Eggbertsdad
    @JerkChicken, 2 things. 1) That is an impressive mess of chicken you've got going there!!!!! 2) Is that an adjustable rig with the slide out racks? I'm assuming that's what the guys on here are talking about but I've never seen one in action. Mandatory for feeding a lot of people with one BGE. 
  • Griffin
    =D> That is a lot of chicken!! I thought about doing apple wood, but when I went out to my shed I realized i was out. Maybe next time.

Rowlett, Texas

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Thanks alot Griffin - I decided last minute to try these at home last night, except a couple minor changes...

Chicken Boobies instead of wings (what I had around)
    No Ginger or Cloves, I just didn't have any
    Apple instead of Cherry smoke.

Probably only marinaded for maybe 40 minutes or so (last minute decision as I said...).  Next time I'll let em sit for a lot longer. 

Turned out REALLY nicely if I do say so myself.  Thanks for the recepie Griffon!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Griffin
    edited April 2012
    You are more than welcome. Looks like it came out pretty good. Next time try it with the ginger and cloves and see if you can let it marinate longer. I was originally going to do mine Monday night, but by the time I got it all together, it would have only been able to marinate for 30 minutes or so, so I just tossed it in the fridge overnight. I think it benefited by the longer marinade.

Rowlett, Texas

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Yup - I'm definitely going to let it sit longer next time - and ground cloves & ginger are on my shopping list in my iphone (along wtih a ton of other stuff)... now I CAN'T forget lol.

I'm also gonna steal JerkChicken's "slash/stab" thoughts to get the marinade further in the chicken.

Can't wait to do it again.

Oh and - as can be seen above - the fourth cook officially went well, AND my gasket's still there!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • JerkChicken
    @JerkChicken, 2 things. 1) That is an impressive mess of chicken you've got going there!!!!! 2) Is that an adjustable rig with the slide out racks? I'm assuming that's what the guys on here are talking about but I've never seen one in action. Mandatory for feeding a lot of people with one BGE. 
    Yea, that was a lot of jerk. Yes that is the Ceramic Grill Store's Adjustable Rig (customer combo) which I added the slide guide and extender. Was pricey but was the only way I could do that much chicken on the large BGE. The rig takes some getting used too, and it's a bit cumbersome but all in all I like it. It has expanded my cooking capacity quite a bit. 

From past experience, dark meat and wings are usually best for Jerk. I like breasts too but they do get a little drier. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    This won't be well received amongst the "Jerkies" here.   :)

I cooked some, based on the recipe here last night.  I was underwhelmed.  Hot - yes, but the flavor wasn't much to my liking.  It's a good thing my wife is out of town 'cause she might have thrown them at me.

It could be a delayed reaction to our trip to Kingston in the '70s.  After a $50 cab ride from the airport to the hotel, we found out that our hotel was right at the side of the airport runway.  Things got worse from there. We were back in the states in less than 24 hours.  Haven't been back since, nor do I intend to ever go back.

On a good note, HEY MICKEY !  I got 6 wings and 4 shrimp on the mini !!!!! (Shrimp had been eaten by the time the picture was taken)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• JerkChicken
    @VI

Bummer you weren't really feelin' the jerk. It's not for everybody. The recipe posted above in this thread is close but it's missing some important ingredients like soy sauce, and I wouldn't put clove in it. Without going into the wikeapedia shpeal, jerk was a culmination of many different cultures descending upon the Caribbean and the Chinese were among them. If you ever feel like giving it another go, or for anyone else looking for a good recipe, here is mine:

For a large batch of the jerk marinade I put in a blender:

8-12 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Habenero can sub., Seeded for less heat, or only 1 pepper if really mild)
    1 large bunch green onion (or two small  bunches)
    1 Tablespoon fresh Thyme (dried will do)
    3 Shallots (or half an onion)
    6 Cloves garlic
    1 small chunk ginger (less an inch)
    3 Teaspoons Allspice (or the equivalent of whole pimentos)
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon 
    1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
    3 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
    2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
    1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
    1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Canola oil
    Juice from one lime

Blend it all up until it looks like a really healthy smoothy.

Take about 18-28 whole wings or drums (or as much as your egg will fit) cleaned, rinsed, pat dried, slash and stab each one with a sharp knife. Put the wings into gallon ziplock bag or two if it won't fit. Cover the wings completely in the marinade and squish around so that the marinade really gets in there. Throw it in the fridge overnight, turning once in the morning if you remember. 

Then get the egg stabilized for indirect 300 degrees dome. Spray or brush both sides of the chix with light coat of canola oil. Flip the pieces halfway through the cook (thats when I hit the second side with oil). Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until dark brown. 

Consume with cold Red Stripe or Heineken if you want to really be authentic. 

• Village Idiot
    Thanks, JC.

I do like hot and spicy, so I hate to abandon any genre of cooking that has a kick to it.  I will print out your recipe and give it a try in the near future.  Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Looks like a great recipe JC. Putting it on the weekend docket... Thanks for posting it.
  • Griffin
    Sorry that you didn't like it VI. What part of the flavor didn't you like?

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Hard to say, Grif. I didn't mean to say it was bad, just something I wouldn't fix again. I did eat 4 wings, so it certainly was edible, but it didn't make it to the VI Hall of Fame.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Sorry that you didn't like it VI. What part of the flavor didn't you like?
    Grif, when you posed the question earlier, I didn't quite know how to answer you.

But, after some thought (and two Cuba Libres), I think I have an answer for you.  I think a marinade or sauce should enhance the essence of the meat, but not take it over, such that the meat becomes only a transporter of the sauce or marinade.  I mentioned in a previous thread that I think marinading in red wine can overpower a cut of beef very easily.

In the jerk chicken case, the main sense you encounter is the jerk seasoning.  It seems that the meat is a mere secondary item.  The recipe said it works just as well with shrimp.  Sure, that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope that clears up my original post.

Dripping Springs, Texas.