Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Dinner - Talk About Pressure (w/ Conversationally Interesting FlashBack Pics!)

Options
MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends,

You all probably always cook for your families, but this was a second for me.  Why not a first?  Because, once, in a land far away, my sister and I demolished all hope of ever cooking for our family again, one lonely Christmas, by serving RAW lamb.  So, when the fam started REQUESTING Texas Brisket BGE style, I got a little knock kneed.

This was a 16+ pounder.  Work dictated a faster cook, so I shot for 300* instead of my usual 225*.  Interesting side note - for the first time i had a 100+ degree variance from dome to grate, based upon very calibrated Maverick and tru-temp thermos.  Weird.  I verified the dome with a Thermapen, too.  Crazy.

The beef was on for 12 hours. Thermapenned at 205*.   FTCed for four.  In the meantime, I fired two spatchcocked chickens for an hour to 165* and then FTCed them for the hour drive to Raleigh.

Results?  Family says it's the best of the four briskets I've brought so far.  Chicken, while losing the crispy skin, was freakin perfect.  Unbelievably moist.  I'm on this new doctor imposed near vegan triglyceride diet, and the "on the list" chicken breast was delicate, moist, flavourful...  I'll be doing these twice a week.  Mom finished the point burnt-end style after I left, and it turned out simply amazing.  

I completely smoked out the neighborhood, along with the neighboring neighborhood.  Mesquite...  Gotta love it.  A few pics of the new LawnRanger gridlifter, the smoke, the beef, the birds, and the blowbacks I got when shutting the vents down after getting the coals going.  It burst out of there three feet; like a TomCat afterburner running out of fuel.  Dramatic in the night - the pictures really only capture one dimension of the experience.

Bless you, BGE.  A successful dinner...  And redemption for a Christmas I wish I could forget...
8-Damien

PS - So good, I forgot to take after pics.  Sheesh...

imageimageimageimageimageimage
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments