Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spat chocked Turkey virgin

bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have just rubbed my first spatchcocked turkey and it is sitting open air in the fridge. I plan on cooking at a dome temp of 350. Should I go direct raised, or indirect? If I want it off by 11am, what time should I get started? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
Large BGE Dallas, TX
·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,242
    I've only done raised-direct and am always happy with the results.  I use a adjustable rig so im a little above the felt line and cook at about 400 dome temp.

How many pounds is your turkey?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I've only done raised-direct and am always happy with the results.  I use a adjustable rig so im a little above the felt line and cook at about 400 dome temp.

How many pounds is your turkey?

I use the same setup and do 12 lb birds in 1:30-1:45.
    ·
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    Direct, raised grid at 400 14# bird ~ 2 - 2.5 hours?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
    Sounds about right.  Do your 1st temp check at about 2 hours.

Also, next time let it sit in the fridge without the rub so the skin gets good and dry.  Last time, I rubbed it with a tiny tiny bit of EVOO and then put my rub on.  I let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes prior to cook while I got my temp stabilized.  

Pick yourself up a Maverick ET732.
    ·
    I have a maverick. Should I use it?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
    Heck yeah! Why guess/calculate when to check the temp when you have the tool to keep track every step of the way? Put the tip of the probe in the middle of the breast. Do you have a thermapen too?

·
    Red
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
    Cool. You're all set then. Make sure to let it rest...and post pics! :)
    ·
    Will do. Thanks for the help.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
    ·
    How'd it come out?
    ·