Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Cook*

Options
centex99
centex99 Posts: 231
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, decided to my first brisket on the egg... I've cooked a few other briskets in my life, hence the *
Started it last night, got the fire stabalized at about 250 dome.... Threw it on with some cherry wood... plate setter, legs up, drip tray...

Seasoning of choice was salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some tubinar sugar...

Temps held fairly steady all night... woke up and grate was 260-265 and dome had gotten up to 300... turned it down a bit too much and it went down to 200 grate/220 dome... now have it dialed back in around 250dome/240 grate... Brisket is sitting at 158.. though not expecting it to be done for another 4-8 hours...
Once complete, I'm going to cut the point up for burnt ends... will be seasoning those with some bovine bold rub and cooking for 2-4 hours then another hour with some sauce... yum.

Comments

• TxAg93
    TxAg93 Posts: 124
    Options
    Excellent stuff. I'm at 230ish dome and 228 grate with internal of 109.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    All sounds right on track to me

setup???
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Sounds just right to me too. Brisket is one of my favorite things to cook. I look forward to seeing the final pics. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • centex99
    Options
    Cut a bit off the end to taste test... its good... :)
    My ET73 is giving me fits though... the pit probe must be jacked up... :-/
    What to buy... buy a new 732... replacement probes (too expensive it seems)...
    Or something else...I want a stoker, but not sure I can justify the cost...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Or something else...I want a stoker, but not sure I can justify the cost... =))

You are in the wrong forum if you are trying to justify costs!!!!!!!
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Setup: 15# packer. Trimmed 13.4 oz of fat off it. Painted a thin coat of mustard, worcestershire sauce and a touch of molasses that I blended together. I covered generously with Bubbas multipurpose beef rub with which I added a bit of turbinado sugar. Cleaned and loaded the egg with B&B lump oak and added hickory and pecan chips. Feet up plate setter with a drip pan with beer onion, celery and carrots in it. I know I'm not going to impart any flavors with it, but it makes me feel good and dangit I just wanted to.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    I would love a stoker too but I'm happy with my 732.
  • centex99
    Options
    lol  I may just buy an ET732...  seems much improved over my ET73 which has been nice despite its few flaws and now flakey probe...
    I found a site that sells a refurb/open box for 39.99... or 59.99 for new from amazon... hmmm that's a hard choice.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Oh forgot the fun parts. Woke up at 4 to pull the brisket out of the fridge to start warming up. Fell back asleep. Woke up at 6 to start the egg up and put the slab 'o' meat on it at 7.
    Shooting for 225 grate temp throughout the cook.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh forgot the fun parts. Woke up at 4 to pull the brisket out of the fridge to start warming up. Fell back asleep. Woke up at 6 to start the egg up and put the slab 'o' meat on it at 7.
    Shooting for 225 grate temp throughout the cook.
    That's why my favorite briskets are always someone else's :)

Actually, I always do mine overnight and sleep like a rock. I ain't getting up at 4 to cook or prep anything
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Setup: 15# packer. Trimmed 13.4 oz of fat off it. Painted a thin coat of mustard, worcestershire sauce and a touch of molasses that I blended together. I covered generously with Bubbas multipurpose beef rub with which I added a bit of turbinado sugar. Cleaned and loaded the egg with B&B lump oak and added hickory and pecan chips. Feet up plate setter with a drip pan with beer onion, celery and carrots in it. I know I'm not going to impart any flavors with it, but it makes me feel good and dangit I just wanted to.
    Plus you wasted a good beer! Setup sounds great. is your brisket on the grate over the pan? Is your pan elevated off the plate setter?
  • centex99
    Options
    my drip pan is sitting on bge feet which are sitting on plate setter...
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Yeah, I got mine through Amazon. Obviously the Maverick won't control the temp for you, but it's cheap and it works and I feel like I'm part of the cookinh process. Not to say that I would turn down a stoker if someone offered me one. But I'm happy with what I got.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    It was a Rahr and Son's Blonde, which I wasn't particularly fond of to begin with. I've got some Duvel and a Maredsous 8 I'll be opening when it's high noon.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    I wadded up some HDAF to put between the pan and the plate setter.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    And yes on the grate over the pan. Dangit I'm just not reading well this morning. Maybe an Irish coffee is in order...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And yes on the grate over the pan. Dangit I'm just not reading well this morning. Maybe an Irish coffee is in order...
    I've used that setup a lot (the foil and the feet actually). I really like the setup i wrote down in my brisket rant last week using a jalapeno rack to elevate the pan and put the brisket in a V-Rack in the drip pan (not touching any liquids)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It was a Rahr and Son's Blonde, which I wasn't particularly fond of to begin with. I've got some Duvel and a Maredsous 8 I'll be opening when it's high noon.
    Mmmmm....Duvel. I can only have one or 2 of those because of how carbonated they are. They use a yeast that is made for champagne and that's what makes it have the millions of tiny bubbles (used to own a beer store). Dang those monks and their penchant for delicious beers

• TxAg93
    Options
    Yes Duvel is my third favorite beer. But all my favorites are of the Strong Belgian Ale variety, Quads or Trippels. #1 Westvleteren Abt 12, #2 St Bernardus Abt 12.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    Ok it's been 4 hours on and I'm at 225 grate, 231 dome; internal is at 133.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes Duvel is my third favorite beer. But all my favorites are of the Strong Belgian Ale variety, Quads or Trippels. #1 Westvleteren Abt 12, #2 St Bernardus Abt 12.
    There is a great brewery in NY that does Trappist styles very well. they are super cheap (compared to the Belgians) and I love them all. I'm sure you've tried them because you are deep down my list with your choices above. If you haven't, give the guys at Ommegang a try. Great beers and good folks. they really do it right.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There is a great brewery in NY that does Trappist styles very well. they are super cheap (compared to the Belgians) and I love them all. I'm sure you've tried them because you are deep down my list with your choices above. If you haven't, give the guys at Ommegang a try. Great beers and good folks. they really do it right.

And these Canadians do it right too. Le Fin Du Monde' is my favorite here

• TxAg93
    Options
    Yes Ommegang is great stuff! Have you had Boulevard Brewery Smokestack series of The Sixth Glass? It's out of Kansas City. I swore monks must've been imported to brew that one up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes Ommegang is great stuff! Have you had Boulevard Brewery Smokestack series of The Sixth Glass? It's out of Kansas City. I swore monks must've been imported to brew that one up.
    Have not. I'll put it on my list...just what I needed..,more beers
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Did I hear BEER? I just picked up a Duvel Thursday, I have never had it. I like Belgian Ales, but I admitedly am very green regarding them. I will be having a Damnation by Russian River tonight; it is one I really enjoy. I have a few Blind Pigs from RR, but it is an IPA, not belgium.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Did I hear BEER? I just picked up a Duvel Thursday, I have never had it. I like Belgian Ales, but I admitedly am very green regarding them. I will be having a Damnation by Russian River tonight; it is one I really enjoy. I have a few Blind Pigs from RR, but it is an IPA, not belgium.
    Duvel is a great place to start with Belgians. take small sips though- it literally explodes in your mouth because of their unique carbonation techniques. Take a big sip and it comes right back out the nose :) Grab a big bottle of Chimay (I like the blue label) next time you are out. It's not the best, but it's kind of the standard of abbey ales to judge the other against. Something magic about a good Trappist Beer buzz. Those dudes do it right.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I am putting a brisket on around midnight hoping to have it finished between 1 and 2 tomorrow. We will be taking it to our family dinner at our niece's house. Got my fingers and toes crossed that it will be as good as last time. Prepped it this morning with worchestershire sauce and rub. This will be the first real test of the auber controller, the weather is suppose to be near freezing with a slight chance of rain overnight.

Gerhard
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am putting a brisket on around midnight hoping to have it finished between 1 and 2 tomorrow. We will be taking it to our family dinner at our niece's house. Got my fingers and toes crossed that it will be as good as last time. Prepped it this morning with worchestershire sauce and rub. This will be the first real test of the auber controller, the weather is suppose to be near freezing with a slight chance of rain overnight.

Gerhard
    Nice. I have cooked many briskets below freezing and the egg worked perfectly. the controller would have been nice on those cooks. Only fire issues I had were when the temps dropped huge at night. I was up all the time messing with them. Good luck!
  • TxAg93
    Options
    No worries of a freeze here. Sunny with a high in the mid-80's.
  • TxAg93
    Options
    5 1/2 hours on 225 dome/grate and 145 internal. Thinking the stall is right around the corner.